PDA

View Full Version : Snipe with Reflection

Bob Blanchard
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Captured this Snipe yesterday morning at Harns Marsh. My light angle was not perfect on this one, but any attempt to move would have most certainly frightened off this very timid bird. Made the best of what I had and pushed the histogram as far as I dared in order to pull as much detail from the shadows as possible. The BG, Reflection, and unique pose work for me on this one.

Canon 1DM4, 600mm f/4L with 1.4x extender, f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/1250, manual mode, tripod.
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/1227164683_4RxzA-X3.jpg

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
I really like the pose in this one, how the beak is just touch the water, the raise tail and the glancing look on the face. I also like the hint of vegetation environment in the background and the beautiful reflection color in the water. Agree with you about the light, although it helps give form, I think the contrast is a bit too much here.

Dumay de Boulle
03-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Nice reflection...i like the colors in the water...I would maybe drop the contrast a touch...But overall a nice image

Steve Zamek
03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
I like the intimate and interesting pose here. Water and background colors are very nice. The erect tail adds much interest. Agreed that the contrast could be toned down a bit.

Bob Blanchard
03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the comments all. Will take the contrast down a touch. I think I'll tone down the whites just a bit as well.

Marina Scarr
03-24-2011, 09:31 PM
You did a great job capturing an elusive subject. The reflection and position of the tail sure add interest. Agree on lowering contrast a tad. Would also remove second catchlight from the eye and the two highlights on the reflection of the bill which are not on the bill itself. The greens and yellows really work here. Your hard work and patienace paid off.

Bob Blanchard
03-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks so much for the excellent feedback everyone. Here's a reprocess. I toned the whites down just a bit, enhanced the shadows just a bit, and processed without any tweaks to contrast at all. I also removed the odd double reflection that Marina pointed out. Funny thing about that was that there is no reflection on his beak there. Only the reflection had that beak glare.

http://www.catcheroflight.com/photos/1228335122_uq87n-X3.jpg

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
03-26-2011, 09:58 AM
The re-post looks very good Bob.

Bob Blanchard
03-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the great input all.

BTW - I did remove the double catchlight as well, and I took a little bit off the top and bottom on the crop. If felt slightly "long" to me.

Bob Pelkey
05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Here's a portrait shot that works extremely well. I had to
take a look between your two posted images of the Snipe
numerous times for an appreciation of what was done.
Perhaps this stunning shot might only be improved further
by lightening the background.