PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with warblers again

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-23-2011, 08:11 PM
I was at the Viera Wetlands this morning and took this mage of what I think might be a female pine warbler, but I amnot a bit sure. Can someone help?

Mac

John Chardine
03-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi Mac- Well this is a classic case of a bird in its habitat! This is a Pine Warbler in a pine tree! Note the fairly stout appearance for a warbler, the yellow eye-ring, white wing-bars, yellow head and breast and white belly and under the tail.

Pine Warblers are a bit of a challenge because to me they generally look like a warbler in non-breeding plumage.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks John, I guess your right about the habitat, but I also photographed a Prairie Warbler and a Comman Yellowthroat in the same tree. Thanks again for your expertise as it is really appreciated.

Off the subject a little, but is there a secret to identifying Sea Gulls? I have many images of them that I have taken while practicing flying birds, but for the most part I don't have a clue as to what variety they are.

Mac

Jeff Cashdollar
03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Mac,

Seen lot's of these guys in Tn this summer and I love to photograph them. Very active. At first, seemed like the stayed in tree tops but now they are on the ground looking for food near a feeder.