PDA

View Full Version : Nature Photography and I have lost a great friend.

James Shadle
03-23-2011, 07:13 PM
On March 11th, Vanessa "Dr.Van" Hilliard passed away in her St.Petersburg, Fl home.
I'll miss her.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/obituaries/article1159005.ece

Daniel Cadieux
03-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh man, that is terrible news. I got the chance to meet her on your boat a couple of years ago and we shared many laughs and photography stories. My condolences to her family and friends...

Sid Garige
03-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Sad news James.

I still remember her reaction when I told here I was asked to take a drug test for a new job. She had very low tolerance for stupidity. Very logical and never afraid to state her opinion. May her soul rest in peace.

-Sid

Rocky Sharwell
03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
I was dumbfounded yesterday when I read the news online and saw the article. I first met Dr. Van when I was assisting Artie during a birding festival at Eckerd College when we took the group to Ft. DeSoto. She was enthusiastic and smiling the whole time....I always enjoyed meeting her when out and about photographing...

Melissa Groo
03-24-2011, 07:28 PM
So sorry to hear it, James. I just looked at her galleries online--what an incredible photographer. And sounds like she had quite a spirit too.

David Pugsley
03-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I just learned this morning of the passing of Van Hilliard. She passed away at her home in St. Petersburg, FL on March 11.

I shot a number of times with Van. She was a tremendous talent and a mentor to me. She was always willing to teach and I learned much from her in a short time. She will be greatly missed.

I'm unsure if Van was a member here on BPN, but I do know she was a participant.

Rest in peace my friend. I will think of you always when photographing at Ft DeSoto and especially when spending time with "Big Red".

http://www.tampabay.com/news/obituaries/van-hilliard-wowed-people-with-athleticism-smarts-and-photography/1159005

annmpacheco
03-25-2011, 07:12 PM
What a treasure we have lost. I looked at her galleries and thanked her... So sorry...

Chris Martinez
03-26-2011, 07:10 AM
I didn't know Van but when I heard the news earlier today I was truly saddened. We had very briefly conversed online when I asked some questions about the 800mm she used to great effect. Van was so very helpful. I know that if we had met I would be feeling much worse than I do.

Lana Hays
03-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Truly a great loss.

Michael Pancier
03-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Sad indeed. I always ran into her while shooting at Fort de Soto. A sweet person and fine naturalist. She will be missed.

Blake Shadle
03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
This still feels unreal. She was an incredible person, dynamic, and full of passion for her art. I'm very happy that I was able to count her as a friend. She encouraged and supported me and my photography. I'll miss seeing her smiling in that little red truck.

Don Hamilton Jr.
05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
I just saw this, so sad to hear of this. i met her at Desoto, and she spent time showing, my dad, and i different techniques in the back where the water fountain is; an amazing lady, and talented ! She will be missed; my condolences to her family.
Don