PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Merganser

Neil Nourse
03-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Haven't been able to get out much lately. Spent some time out Saturday afternoon and this is the result. Would of liked just a bit more head turn but it's what he gave me.
1DMk3, 700mm, 1/1000, f9, AP, ISO 800. Tripod and Ghili jacket with home made matching camera cover.
Comments welcomed..

Allen Hirsch
03-23-2011, 07:25 PM
I really like the "fan-like" effect in his white head feathers - great texture there. And very nice low angle - well done.

Is his tail clipped on your L edge just a bit? If it were mine, I'd try to add some canvas on that L edge.

Randy Stout
03-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Neil:

The light angle gave you excellent definition in the whites on the hood, often lacking from straight frontal lighting. Nice detail in the blacks as well, good job on the exposure.

The eye looks a bit dull. Does it look like this in all your frames?

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
03-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Man, that crest is raised to the max!! Not an easy task to properly expose these guys in strongish light. You did a good job, but I am wondering if you tried to darken areas of the breast as it seems to be a bit muddy in spots? Good general comp, but I agree on a bit more room at left for the tail and I love to see the eye more vibrant.

Neil Nourse
03-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yes Daniel I did try to darken the breast a bit in LR3. Here is a re-processed image with the crop adjusted, shadow/highlight , background noise reduction,eye worked on and sharpened.
I think it's an improvement over OP.
TFL Neil