PDA

View Full Version : Hard lens cases?

Dan Busby
03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Related to the recent post about carry-on baggage on Icelandic Air, does anyone know if there is such a thing as hard plastic cases for carrying lenses in the general checked baggage? My thinking is that, in anticipation of carry-on limitations on an upcoming trip to SA, putting some of the non-essential lenses, flashes, etc, in a non-metal container that is hard-sided, one could avoid the "flagging" by baggage xrays and also give some protection against severe compression in the cargo hold. I don't think I need a special photo equipment container (e.g. Pelican) and would just pack the few items in with the clothing. I have not been able to find any such containers by routine web searching. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

Dan

Jeff Dyck
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Dan - I carry-on a modern Think Tank piece of camera luggage but often check a vintage 1970s Samsonite hardshell suitcase for just this purpose you mention. Ask around - those old hardshell suitcases are hiding in attics and the backs of closets everywhere and can probably be had for a song... FYI - Samsonite still makes relatively inexpensive hardshell luggage - might be worth checking out...