View Full Version : They're Back!

Norm Dulak
03-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VRII lens @ 78mm, tripod mounted
ISO Equivalent 400
f/22, 1/200 sec
Matrix Metering -0.67
PP: PS CS5 modest crop, levels, curves, SH, and minimal smart sharpen

This is a diversion from my recent macro postings, in which I've zoomed out to enter the flora world of this forum.

Some years ago, my spouse Linda set 450 daffodil bulbs along the roadside edges of our 11 acre conservation area. Over time, our daffodils have multiplied into what by now must surely be thousands of flowers. They are now blossoming again, in which we hope will be a visual treat and gift to our friends who travel along our quiet country road.

In this image I've tried to capture the vast expanse of our now emerging daffodils, which spans more than a thousand feet of the perimeter of our conservation acreage. The daffodils shown here actually extend all the way to our driveway, and more daffodils also adorn another patch of our conservation area on the other side of our driveway, extending all the way to the white post in the distance.

But have I made a reasonable effort here to capture the heart of our daffodils?

Norm

Randy Stout
03-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Norm:

I like all the leading lines here, the daffies, tree line, grasses on right, all leading to the gate.
Good DOF.

If my intent was to showcase the daffies, I might reframe it a bit to shoot from a even lower angle, and aim along the line of daffies a bit form the left side,so that they were more dominant in the image, fading off into the distance.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Randy

Norm Dulak
03-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Norm:

I like all the leading lines here, the daffies, tree line, grasses on right, all leading to the gate.
Good DOF.

If my intent was to showcase the daffies, I might reframe it a bit to shoot from a even lower angle, and aim along the line of daffies a bit form the left side,so that they were more dominant in the image, fading off into the distance.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy; I really appreciate your suggestions.

I thought about different angles on the flowers but failed to consider your idea. I also tried to get my camera as low as possible, and lowered the tripod until the non-removable center column touched the ground. I probably should have bean bagged it and assumed the prone position, but the ground was muddy. And hey, I'm a wimp! :t3

And Randy, please continue to offer your comments in this forum, and to post more of your own images here.

Norm

Randy Stout
03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks Randy; I really appreciate your suggestions.

I thought about different angles on the flowers but failed to consider your idea. I also tried to get my camera as low as possible, and lowered the tripod until the non-removable center column touched the ground. I probably should have bean bagged it and assumed the prone position, but the ground was muddy. And hey, I'm a wimp! :t3

And Randy, please continue to offer your comments in this forum, and to post more of your own images here.

Norm

Norm:

Long term, a tripod without a center column is a great thing, obviously for macro, but birds as well. I often have mine flat on the ground to get low angle shots. I do use a right angle finder at times, so you don't have to lay in the mud so to speak to get low angle shots.

Thanks for the invitation to macro. I have about all I can do ,keeping up with avian, but I always enjoy visiting macro, and the occassional butterfly post that I can contribute. I hope to have one more butterfly outing next week. Macro work does expand your thinking, and I always like to cross pollinate between avian and macro, so to speak.

Cheers

Randy

Anita Bower
03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Nice leading lines and lovely daffodils. I'm not good at this type of shot, so don't know what to suggest, other than lots of shots and selecting the best. Wonderful to have planted so many for others to enjoy!

Steve Maxson
03-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi Norm. That's a LOT of daffodils! Randy's idea is worth considering. If you had a tilt/shift lens, this would be a good situation to give it a try - though the DOF isn't bad, as presented, with a tilt/shift you could have the foreground flowers and the distant gate (plus all the flowers in between) equally sharp. Just a thought. :S3:

Norm Dulak
03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments!