PDA

View Full Version : Galapagos-Espanola( Hood) Island before the storm

Steve Uffman
03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Canon 7d Canon 70-200mm f/2/8L IS II USM +1.4x TC III handheld 98mm 1/400sec @ f/10 ISO 400 1/3 EV Shutter Priority

Andrew McLachlan
03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Steve, I quite like the comp. The birds flying near the crashing wave is nice. I think I would try bumping up the contrast a little as it seems a touch flat to me. I think I would like to see a little more water along the bottom of the comp so that the rocks in the lower left weren't clipped, but I have never been there so I don't know if it would have been possible or not. Overall, nice work!

Dave Mills
03-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi Steve, You caught the crashing wave at a perfect moment. Agree with Andrew regarding the contrast which is probably due to lighting. The clipped rocks on the bottom is not helping the image. I would of added more of them to give the image a stronger base if that was possible.If this were mine I would also take a small bit off the top...

Richard Lovison
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Steve,

I like the low contrast and softness of the colors. Beautiful aqua hues in the water. If it were mine I would crop about a third of the sky so as to not have the horizon in the middle of the image. Beautiful moment of capture.

Richard

Steve Uffman
03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
many thanks to all..appreciate the input...I actually will work with the image a bit...it actually was one of those spontaneous shots as I was shooting a boobie chick with the teleconverter on the lens...I saw the wave coming and turned, made a quick change to the fstop, framed as is...

but i can do the contrast and crop a bit for sure..
again thanks for the input

Ed Cordes
03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
I usually like higher contrast images. However, in this case the lower contrast adds to the mood of the image. I do agree about cropping some sky.

Robert Amoruso
03-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Steve, you are on the right track here.

The foreground needed to have more of the rocks to be effective and interesting so my preference is eliminate them. If they go, the rocks on the left edge are now a distraction, so crop them too.

I agree with the more contrast suggestion and as I did in the repost, suggest Local Contrast enhancement using USM on a Background Copy at 20/50/0.

Roman Kurywczak
04-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey Steve,
Been away for a while.....so sorry for the late reply. I love the advice given above and the way Robert brought up the drama of the waves. I could go either way with the crop and as I am an old slide guy.....the extra contast would work for me too! I think you could go in many directions with this post.......so a nice option to have with what starts out as a strong comp!