PDA

View Full Version : Bird of Paradise

Brendan Dozier
03-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Shot this a few weeks ago in backyard. Its FF here, but wondering if I should leave as is, or is there a better crop solution?

ACR & PP, used spot healing to remove spots on petals, and some NR on blue petal

7D, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, tripod
1/30
ISO 400

C & C welcome & appreciated,

- Brendan

Anita Bower
03-22-2011, 06:36 AM
I love it! Wonderful bright colors. The crop works well for me--great angles and shapes and colors included. I like the rather flat looking shapes in URC contrasting with the three-dimensional blue in LLC. The water drops and reflections are a bonus. I wouldn't change a thing. Wonderful macro composition.

Norm Dulak
03-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks Brendan, this really makes my day!

I think this combination of soft pastels and sharp water droplets on vibrant blue is very unusual and interesting. Very good composition.

My only suggestion would be to try to eliminate the halos seen around some of the water droplets.

But overall, I think that this is very well done. And it highlights the virtues of looking in one's own back yard for interesting subjects!

Norm

bhavya joshi
03-22-2011, 02:03 PM
water drops reflection, with cool colours.... i really like it..
Blue shade and drop change the image into colourful image...:c3:

Randy Stout
03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Brendan:

Lovely colors, like the drops with the reflected colors in them, very nicely done.

The only thing that jumped out at me was the pink area on the lower right corner. I might try a version with that cropped out. I tired it, a different look, but I found that area the one slight disconnect with the rest of the image.

Obviously, I am a bird fellow, so take my macro suggestions with several large grains of salt!!

Cheers

Randy

Dave Mills
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi Brendan, The crop Randy suggested will work but the image is lovely as is!! Beautiful layers of colors with the water drops adding additional interest. Well handled technically along with a good eye...

Steven Kersting
03-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Fantastic image, leave it alone!

Brendan Dozier
03-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks everyone, appreciate your feedback very much.

Steve Maxson
03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi Brendan. I really like the mix of colors and shapes here. The water drops on the blue petal add a lot of interest and are the focal point for me. The crop, as presented, looks fine. If this was mine, I'd make a couple minor tweaks. I would suggest using the patch tool to remove the water drop in the orange near the top of the frame - I find that it is drawing my eye away from the very cool water drops in the blue. Also, upon close inspection, there are still a number of small black specs on the petals in the upper half of the image - it would be easy to clean up the rest of these. :S3: Very well done.

Mitch Haimov
03-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Excellent composition and use of color. No need for cropping, and the combination of strong and subtle colors works well with nothing over-saturated. Like others, I find the water drops a great bonus.

Brendan Dozier
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for your comments Steve & Mitch.

I would suggest using the patch tool to remove the water drop in the orange near the top of the frame - I find that it is drawing my eye away from the very cool water drops in the blue. Also, upon close inspection, there are still a number of small black specs on the petals in the upper half of the image - it would be easy to clean up the rest of these. :S3: Very well done.

I see what you mean Steve, as far as the drop above and the spots, so here's the re-post:

Ed Cordes
03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I like the repost with the drop removed from the orange petal. The thing I like the most is the fresh perspective of this flower. Getting tight like this captures the spirit of the Bird of Paradise but avoids the cliche of showing the entire bloom.

Ken Childs
03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey Brendan, the OP looked great and the few tweaks suggested by Steve take the repost over the top! Well done! :cheers:

Anita Bower
03-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I debated about the water drop at the top of the image. I do like the repost better. Excellent work!!!!

Brendan Dozier
03-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your comments Ed, Ken, and Anita, very much appreciated.

Susan Candelario
03-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Love everything about this one! The colors & pov are fantastic!

Brendan Dozier
03-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks Susan!