http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_0243_2_2_2-2.jpg

.4 seconds
f7.1
iso100
15mm
A lot of PP in nx2

Hilary Hann
03-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Dan, well named with this image. It conveys exactly the feeling that you would find trolls and other fairy tale creatures. Beautiful depth and detail.

Dave Mills
03-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Dan, Due to your use of effects the dappled light has been softened except for the bright area on the dominant tree. The color is rich yet the greens are a bit over saturated.
Compositionally I might have given more room on the left for the bridges entrance. Another idea would be cropping some of the far rt trees.

As a side note... I like creative images but when they are put into landscapes I feel it necessary to critique as I would a straight image otherwise where does one draw the line. Of course I'm speaking for myself...

Hilary Hann
03-21-2011, 08:38 PM
As a side note... I like creative images but when they are put into landscapes I feel it necessary to critique as I would a straight image otherwise where does one draw the line. Of course I'm speaking for myself...

I think that is a fair point and it does allow for both creative and a more traditional images to be critiqued side by side which I think is a good thing.

dankearl
03-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Dave, certainly a fair point and I don't expect not to be critiqued the same way.
This image is not reality at all. If the format allowed I would post the original, which is a nice rainforest photo in the Oregon woods, but pretty straightforward.
I did a lot of lightening and darkening specific areas for the effect I was trying to achieve.
I did try to make it look like a fairy tale forest but it has big flaws to me as hard as I tried to make it look good and I don't mind people pointing them out at all.
I think the light is harsh on the foreground tree, but I couldn't make it look better.
The greens are a bit oversaturated I agree, but not that out of range for what really is a rainforest.
The Upper McKenzie gets 150 inches of rain a year and is REALLY green!
I also think I processed to the maximum and some "creakiness" set into the image.
I appreciate your opinions.

Dan

Michael Lloyd
03-21-2011, 09:35 PM
I like it. One minute it feels like a painting... then at next look it feels like a photograph (manipulated photograph of course). The lightening / darkening that you did gave the image a nice feeling of depth. It pulls my eye across the bridge and then around and to the right.

Richard Lovison
03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Dan,

I love the composition, the effects used and the play of light. It's beautifully done taking my eye from the entry on the bridge to the brighter area to the right. Magical. From the use of effects it almost seems this belongs in the OOTB forum. In any case, it's an outstanding image.

Richard

Robert Amoruso
03-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Dan,

I am glad you posted this here. I agree with Dave that getting the compositional critique is important. I agree with him that more room in the front of the bridge was needed.

Overall though, I think you handled the effects quite well. I would try to clone some less bright tree into that really bright area at the bridge rail.

What was down to achieve the soft look affect of the image?