PDA

View Full Version : Above the Arctic Circle

Mats Honkamaa
03-21-2011, 05:12 PM
http://www.matshonkamaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/IMG_0993_web.jpg
Canon 7D with Canon 400/5.6L USM - ISO400, f/5.6, 1/5000sec, ex +1

In my opinion not very easy to get the exposure and colors correct when shooting snow. Are the colors little little tiny bit to purple or is it just my screen once again. :)

Hilary Hann
03-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Doesn't look purple on my monitor. I think you've captured the sparkling nature of the snow very nicely. Love the diagonal snow line, the two stark branches and the shadows giving scultured form to the image.

Dave Mills
03-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi Mats, good eye in picking out this simple composition. Nice detail in the snow with the backround well muted. In this case the shadow on the left has become a dominant factor within the image and is competing with the branches. My eye is constantly being pulled there away from your center of interest.

dankearl
03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
I agree about the shadow but I think the image has an almost seductive look to it.
The snow is very well done, it does not have a color caste on my monitor.
A creative shot, I like it.

Michael Lloyd
03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I agree about the shadow but I think the image has an almost seductive look to it.
The snow is very well done, it does not have a color caste on my monitor.
A creative shot, I like it.

Ditto.

I'm weird I guess. I don't mind a little diversity in an image. When I look at an image I look at it from top to bottom, corner to corner, left to right... all over, so it's nice to have more than one feature to study. This image pulls me in. I think it would look great printed large. Huge even...

However- one of my first thoughts was "Wow... there's not a lot to photograph up there"

Mats Honkamaa
03-22-2011, 03:16 AM
Ditto.

I'm weird I guess. I don't mind a little diversity in an image. When I look at an image I look at it from top to bottom, corner to corner, left to right... all over, so it's nice to have more than one feature to study. This image pulls me in. I think it would look great printed large. Huge even...

However- one of my first thoughts was "Wow... there's not a lot to photograph up there"

Thanks all for great feedback once again. :)

I am planning to make a large print of this one.

I went out with my 400mm lens to see if i could find any wildlife but couldnt find anything but snow so there was not much else to do than start shooting the snow. :)

Dont know if im allowed to put my webpage URL here (please admin remove if i cant) but you can see more snowphotos from this day on www.matshonkamaa.com.

Declan Troy
03-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Yup, it is hard getting the colors right in part because it is hard to define right. Not having the benefit of having seen the real place my impression is that you may have removed the blue from the image. Looks nice but snowy landscapes and shadows do have blue (reflection of sky) in them. Sometimes the real thing looks artificial.

Robert Amoruso
03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I agree with Dave Mills on the dark shadow and would crop this into a vertical of the branches and diagonal lines in the snow only.

Well seen image