PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon

Grace Scalzo
03-21-2011, 05:04 PM
From a couple weeks ago at one of our State Parks, late evening. Not often seen during daylight but he seemed ok. While I normally would have gone for a lower angle, as this behavior was out of the norm, I wanted to be sure I could make a hasty retreat if needed. I did remove a piece of phragmite that was floating beside him.

1/1000, f8, ISO800
Canon mk4, 500 f4

Morkel Erasmus
03-21-2011, 05:35 PM
super cute shot Grace - love the look and raised tail
as you mentioned and seemed to imply, a lower angle would have worked very nicely indeed

maybe sharpen the face a fraction more?

Hilary Hann
03-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Would agree with Morkel here. His mask shows up well in the reflection. TFS

Steve Canuel
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Nice look at that face. Could be sharpened a touch but as posted has a nice, "soft sharpness" for me.

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Grace - cute shot. They're becoming more and more of a problem on L.I. so you were wise to be cautious and have an escape route though we don't hear about them attacking, just a significant presence of rabies. I like the straight on look and the tail in the air. I agree with the suggestion of a little more sharpening on the face.

TFS,
Rachel

Harshad Barve
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Gotta Love this , nice pose here
TFS

Ken Watkins
03-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Grace,

Great capture tail angle makes this special, agree with perhaps a bit more sharpening. What's phragmite, do not worry I'll look it up.

Steve Kaluski
03-22-2011, 03:27 AM
I like the low position of the Raccoon in the water, especially as if the head was resting on it and certainly a lower POV could have created a unique image, however, I full understand the reasons why you did not pursue this. Having him/her looking at you also adds to the the overall image. Would agree on some selective sharpening around the face, but interesting to see the colour shift from 'as presented' which looks a little cooler, juxtapose to the more warmer version when opened up in PS which offers a bit more detail too. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Grant Atkinson
03-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Like it a whole lot Grace, thanks for sharing...
cheers
Grant

Gen Benjamin
03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
As you know Grace I love this image. I think that the angle here adds to the expression of the racoon, almost like "you caught me" and all though I am sure a lower angle would be nice I think it might take some from the expression.
Nicely done
Gen

Grace Scalzo
03-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone, great suggestions. Our local camera club is having a small show this spring and we are limited to images taken on Long Island. I am going to print this one for that show and appreciate your help with it.