PDA

View Full Version : Extended Absence

D. Robert Franz
03-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi gang. Sorry I haven't been able to put much time into BPN the past few weeks but I've crazy busy here in the office getting ready for the month long Images For Conservation, Pro Tour of Nature Photography contest which starts April 1st. This years contest is in the coastal bend region of TX. On March 28th at the launch party we'll find out what ranch we'll be photographing on for the month of April. That gives us 2 whole days to figure out what we have to work with. Since the ranch has to be a minimum of 1000 acres this will be a daunting task.. I will be leaving on Monday. Robert Amuroso and others I'm sure will pick up the slack here on the wildife forum.

I know from the last contest how demanding mentally and physically it is. You literally go 16-20 hours a day doing something photographically while trying to get your required portfolio of images. Having to get images in 5 catagories,; Wildife; Birds, Reptiles & Amphibians; Insects; Plants and Landscapes; I would photograph nearly all day and then often sit in blinds half the night photographing nocturnal creatures. I 've been on an extensive physical training regiment since the 1st of the year getting ready. Proud to say I'm in much better shape than I've been in quite a while and feel great.

The contest ends at midnight on April 30th. During the last contest I was in a blind at 12:00 am on April 1st and in that same blind at 11:59 pm April 30th trying to get that last best image. I was rewarded handsomely for my efforts and hope to do as well this time. Needless to say I won't be able to keep up with my moderator duties here. I hope stop by and say Hi during the contest if possible. I'll be back in early May but with our portfolios due by May 12th it will be hectic sorting through the 12-15'000 images I expect to have taken to find the top 60 images for the judges.. After the portfolio is turned in I shoud be able to resume my duites.. Till then....

gary rouleau
03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Robert, I wish you the best.
Cheers
gary

Todd Frost
03-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Good luck ! I'm sure your efforts will be it fruitful. Can't wait to see some of your resulting images.
Todd

Sabyasachi Patra
03-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Robert,
Good luck. Look forward to seeing your images after you are back.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

peter delaney
03-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Best of luck. Mr D . Sounds really exciting.

Gayle Clement
03-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Best of luck! I met one of the ranchers in an airport last week (he apologized for "eavesdropping" on my laptop). He told me about the upcoming contests and showed me the names of the photographers.for this year to see if I recognized any. I did, of course. I look forward to seeing your entries. Whichever rancher draws you will be fortunate.

Fabs Forns
03-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Good luck to you , Robert. We shall mind the store :)

Harold Davis
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
best of luck to you, sir!! i like everyone else cant wait to see the results!!