PDA

View Full Version : Whales' Tails

Rachel Hollander
03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I thought I'd post something a little different. I took this back in 2006 with my first DSLR on a small boat cruise of Alaska's Inside Passage. We spent some time in a cove watching humpback whales.

Canon Rebel XT
100-400 @ 400 mm
1/500
f10
ISO 250
Handheld from the zodiac. Cropped to pano. Unfortunately, this was before I shot in RAW.

C&C welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
03-20-2011, 11:32 PM
We don't see many whales or their tails. I am always amazed that anyone can get these images, like sharks breaching. You can even see barnacles on the outside edges of the tails and the water flowing off the nearest whale is good. Hard to comment on IQ given the conditions you were under.

Ken Watkins
03-21-2011, 05:56 AM
Rachel,

I like this in spite of the probable limitations of the equipment you used.

Is there any hope of bring out a little more detail in the blacks?

Great BG, cliffs or icesheet?

Jay Gould
03-21-2011, 06:02 AM
I like it too; I think it needs a bit of CCW.

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks Hilary, Ken and Jay. Not sure I can pull out any more detail but I'll take a look and will take a look at rotation. Ken-the bg is all trees on the shore.

This was one of my most incredible wildlife experiences. There are strict rules about the distance you are supposed to keep from the whales but if the whales approach you then it is ok. Theses whales were very interested in the zodiac and kept coming closer and closer and diving near us until they actually dove right under us. It was amazing having a whale about 3 feet away as it went under the zodiac.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Stu Bowie
03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Hey Rachel, what an amazing sighting - these guys are enormous. Pity they didnt surface alongside you, but there again, you would have needed a wide angle.:w3 I like how the water is dripping off their tails.

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi Rachel, a nice image of an excellent sighting and great to have witnessed. I think you have done extremely well based on shooting from a zodiac (very difficult at the best of times) and the kit used. Can I assume these were about to fluke?

Would agree on a slight CCW rotation, and perhaps a fraction in levels and brightness to see if you could lift things, but the image I feel does convey the very overcast, murky weather you get there, however it can also be spectacular too. :w3 I love the blues & greens of the BG which is very evocative of the location and gives a good backdrop to the arching tails and trailing water. :cheers:

Did you do the whole trip down to Vancouver or just the Alaska part?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks Stuart and Steve.

Stuart - they did surface right near us a few times. There's nothing quite like the smell of a whale exhaling through its blowhole right next to you :eek:.

Steve - Yes, this was right before they fluked on the dive. I think I have the next shot too. We also spent a while with bubble-net feeding whales. The cruise started in Juneau and finished in Sitka. We didn't go to any other ports (unless you count Baranoff Springs with a year-round population of 1), but overnighted in Glacier Bay National Park one night and in little coves the other nights. The days were spent cruising, whale watching and other wildlife sighting, kayaking, and hiking.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
There's nothing quite like the smell of a whale exhaling through its blowhole right next to you .

Sounds 'fishy' to me :bg3: or should that be smells...?:bg3::bg3:

Did you wake up in Glacier Bay, great location. seems like you had a good experience. :w3

Morkel Erasmus
03-21-2011, 03:26 PM
nice one here Rachel - I think the BG is a forest of pine trees if my "young" :w3 eyes are correct?

nice moment - I think this can work well as a B&W if you bring out some more "extremes" in the tonal range...ie whiter whites and blacker blacks. agree on the rotation too...

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Morkel - thanks for the comments and you're right, the bg is a forest of pine trees.

Steve - overnighted in a cove in Glacier Bay and then spent the morning watching Johns Hopkins Glacier calve. There's something special about having drinks at midnight relaxing on the deck as dusk settles in.

Thanks,
Rachel

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Here's a repost with the suggested CCW rotation (thanks to Steve for telling me where to find it in CS5 :S3:) and a slight levels adjustment.

Rachel

Steve Canuel
03-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Neat shot Rachel. I like that the flukes are not exactly parallel to each other. Makes me think that they're twisting around each other underwater as they dive.

Rachel Hollander
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks Steve.

Harshad Barve
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Beautifully done for me , re-post takes this to better leagues
TFS

Ken Watkins
03-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Rachel,

Nice repost!

Steve Kaluski
03-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Nicely done Rachel. :cheers:

Hilary Hann
03-22-2011, 02:40 AM
Well done Rachel.

peter delaney
03-22-2011, 05:20 AM
lovely image Rachel

Rachel Hollander
03-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks Harshad, Ken, Steve, Hilary and Peter. And thanks to all for the suggestions and tips that helped improve the image and PP.

Rachel

Grace Scalzo
03-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Beautiful image, Rachael. I bet this would make a nice print.

Rachel Hollander
03-25-2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks Grace.