PDA

View Full Version : Bearded reedling

Xavier Maessen
03-20-2011, 04:07 PM
The bearded reedling is quite rare in Belgium, and the scarce populations are very localized, due to the progressive disappearance of their natural habitad, the large reedbeds at lowland lakes and swamp margins.

Ironically though, the picture has been taken at an artificial series of basins created for the sugar industry. It was freezing cold that morning of december, and the reedlings were frantically feeding on the reed seeds. Usually you don't even see them because they stay in the middle of the vast, dense reedbed.

But that time I was lucky, they were flying from reed to reed, not too far from the path where I was staying. The main difficulty of the shoot --besides their hyperactivity-- was that I had to aim at them through a "curtain" of reeds. This is a picture of a male; the females are quite similar but with a brown head, and no beard. ;-)

Thank you for your comments and critiques,

Xavier

Capture: EOS 50D + 300mm f/2.8L (MkI) + Extender 2x (MkI). Tripod, Sidekick. ISO 400, f/7.1, 1/1000s
Processing: RAW processed with DPP. Cropped from 15MP to 9 MP. Cloned out a reed stem on the left. NR on the BG.

Dave Leroy
03-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Lovely photo of a very interesting looking bird.

It looks like a tough shot from the look of the habitat.

The only thing I might look at if mine would be to some how deal with the bright seed head entering the frame on lower left side. Perhaps a tighter crop on bottom and then remove it or maybe tone it down so it was more like those above it.

Very nice exposure and sharpness.

Good for you to get the shot.

Dave

Ofer Levy
03-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Lovely image!! If anything maybe slightly more sharpening to the head.

Randy Stout
03-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Xavier:

The colors of the bird and background are really lovely here. Very challenging environment, and I think you did well. I agree with Dave toning down the bright seed head on the lower left, and I might do some mild cropping and vignetting to help separate the bird a bit.

Like the story/info as well.

Cheers

Randy

Jeff Dyck
03-20-2011, 08:11 PM
What a beautiful bird! (I am not familiar with the species). Looks like you nailed the exposure spot on here - the white plummage on the chin looks perfect. I think the biggest issue with the shot is the clutter of the environment - it would have been nice if the bird could have been isolated from the stalks in the background. I also agree with Dave about toning down the highlights in the lower left corner - it would help shift the focus to the bird's head.

Tom Redd
03-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Xavier, beautiful capture. Stunning eyes and your photo displays them well. I agree with the tighter crop from the bottom.

Stu Bowie
03-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Interesting detail on the head, and I like the various colours on him. Well captured under your difficult circumstances.

Nancy Bell
03-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Excellent capture of this busy little bird. Wonderful details, color and posture. I also like the details of the reed head the bird is perched on and that the background behind the head is soft and well behind the bird. I would give a bit more room behind the tail. It almost appears that bird is being "pushed" into the frame. Well done!

Xavier Maessen
03-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Thank you all for your comments on this photograph. I take all suggestions, especially the toning down of the hignhlights of that reed head on the left -- so obvious, now that you have mentionned it. :-)

Xavier