PDA

View Full Version : Super Moon

Todd Levine
03-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Moon shot over the Atlantic Ocean in Coco Beach Florida. Unfortunately there was some fog for horizon shot but turned out pretty nice. Full frame, only sharpened. All comments welcome.

thanks,
todd

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Date/Time: 2011:03:19 19:22:13
Shutter speed: 1/10 sec
Aperture: 18
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Continuous
Live view: active
ISO: 320
Lens: EF600mm f/4L USM +2.0x
Focal length: 1200mm
AF mode: One-shot AF
Image size: 4896 x 3264

Art Kornienko
03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
I would have expected for this shot to be considerabley sharper considering the equipment being used. Did you have a steady tripod and MLU?

Michael Lloyd
03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
It looks like he said that he shot through some fog on the horizon. Shooting the moon at the horizon over the ocean is usually pretty difficult thanks to the air that we need :S3:

Hilary Hann
03-21-2011, 05:51 AM
It isn't until you see two pix of the moon one after the other that you register that we all see the same thing. I know that it is so, but when you see that little crater at the top it really hits home. Here in Australia, over there in the USA … it all looks the same.

I wonder if it would be possible to get more detail from this in PS. Lovely to see for those of us who missed out.

Michael Lloyd
03-21-2011, 08:08 AM
It isn't until you see two pix of the moon one after the other that you register that we all see the same thing. I know that it is so, but when you see that little crater at the top it really hits home. Here in Australia, over there in the USA … it all looks the same.

I wonder if it would be possible to get more detail from this in PS. Lovely to see for those of us who missed out.

If I remember correctly Wikipedia has a side by side comparison of the difference. Google Supermoon and follow the Wikipedia link

Dave Mills
03-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi Todd, I like how you positioned the moon with it being slightly offset within the frame. One can't help but compare the 2 images and I find the B&W being stronger due the dilineation between the shading. The sepia colored image IMO has a tendancy to blend the two and is void of contrast. I also agree on the sharpness....

Roman Kurywczak
03-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey Todd,
Can't add to the above suggestions but you may try to brighten and sharpen it in PP'ing a bit more to see if that works.

Robert Amoruso
03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Todd,

I reposted with the following corrections.

1) Levels correction pulling in shadows and highlights. lightening with the mid-tone slider some.
2) Additional sharpening - I did not correct the halos.

You can also use Levels to set a white point on the brightest area and turn the moon white.

Hilary Hann
03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
I love this golden moon. It sits nicely with the silver moon.

Dave Mills
03-21-2011, 07:56 PM
IMO Roberts version takes it up a notch...