PDA

View Full Version : Black Bellied Plover

Aidan Briggs
03-20-2011, 02:04 PM
The best strategy for photographing plovers is often to let them approach you. They are constantly scanning the beach for prey and will pay little attention to you if you aren't moving. This individual approached me as I was photographing a group of gulls. At one point it came within minimum focusing distance.

I was hoping for a bit of a head turn here, but this guy didn't feel like cooperating.

50D, 100-400 lens at 400mm
1/2000 sec, f/7.1, ISO 400
Handheld

Randy Stout
03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Aidan:

He looks like he is marching to me. The pose, shooting angle, and even the head angle contributes to this feeling. I like it.

Nice comp, balance of FG and BG for me.

I might try very slightly reducing the luminosity of the wave /surf in front of the bird, just a bit distracting. Like the feel/environmental connection of having it there, just tone it down a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Aidan Briggs
03-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks Randy!

The wave doesn't bother me, but I agree that it might look better toned down.

Randy Stout
03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Aidan:

Interesting how the wave behind doesn't catch my eye, as nearly as much as the one ahead. I think it is because the flow of the image is all towards the left side, and our eyes follow his direction of movement and head pointing.

The subtle details about image composition and design are some of my favorite things about photography.

Cheers

Randy

Xavier Maessen
03-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Very nice picture. I like the attitude of the bird, the perfect DoF and the subdued colors. The HA doesn't bother me at all.

Dave Leroy
03-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Yes i agree about the marching. Just needs the music.

I don't mind the waves as is as it reminds me of the beach habitat of the bird.

I also like that you have left the sand on the beak.

Very simple and very well done photo.

Dave

Jeff Dyck
03-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Very nice image Aidan. The bird has great posture - I don't mind the HA either. I am going to disagree with Randy - I quite like the luminous blues in the background - there is a nice overall tone to the image. Was the foreground altered in PP? I ask, because the transition on the sand from out-of-focus to in-focus on the left side of the image looks quite abrupt.

Randy Stout
03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Just to clarify my thoughts.

I think the blue strip of water is great, was talking more about the white area of surf.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
03-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Hey Aidan, what a stately walking posture, and I like the low perspective. The pastel colours of the surf look good, and maybe a little more room behind. :w3

Jim Crosswell
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
I like the sharpness, low angle and pose. Well done Aidan!

Aidan Briggs
03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks all for the input!

Jeff: I didn't alter the foreground in PP.