PDA

View Full Version : Nature's Artery System

Mark T Helm
03-19-2011, 07:56 PM
this is the spent seed pod of a wild cucumber, the pod opens from the bottom and the seeds drop out. The pod dries and the outer covering falls of to reveal this structure of vessels.
This is a 27 shot focus stacking image taken in the field and rendered in Zerener Stacker software.

Anita Bower
03-21-2011, 05:09 AM
You achieved wonderful detail in this image. That stacking you did worked beautifully. There is also a strong three-dimensional quality--the outer and inner structures are well separated. Your image highlights the intricate structure, and the seedpod stands out nicely against the dark bg. I admire your patience and meticulousness.

I'm thinking that adding just a bit more brightness and color using curves and hue/saturation might make the image pop.

What camera and settings did you use? Did you take a photo of the whole pod?

Thanks for sharing. I've never seen this pod before.

Roman Kurywczak
03-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Hey Mark,
Don't forget to post the camera specs so that others may learn!
I do feel the stacking worked very well. I may have tried for a more dramatic lighting to give those delicate layers even more seperation. I think more dramatic light would lead itself to a more pronounced focal point as my eye wanders the scene right now.....just need somewhere to finally come to rest. Hope this makes sense and looking forward to some more of these interesting captures and the technique!

Ken Childs
03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi Mark, this is an interesting subject and you and Zerene handled it really well! Other than stacking, did you do any other editing in Zerene? I agree with Roman about needing more dramatic lighting but I think a strong boost in contrast would go a long way in adding the needed 'pop'. :S3:

Brendan Dozier
03-22-2011, 12:34 AM
Really interesting subject, Mark, and nice job with stacking. The woven vessel pattern makes for a nice compostion. I agree regarding more dramatic lighting & contrast.
Nice job!

Steve Maxson
03-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi Mark. The stacking really brings out the 3-dimensional character of this subject - very nicely done on that count. :S3: There are a number of suggestions above for you to consider so I won't repeat. In the UR against the black background I'm noticing some OOF "something" along the edges of the white outer structures. Are these part of the plant or an artifact of the stacking process? (asked the guy who has never stacked images before. :S3: )