PDA

View Full Version : Mellow Yellow... Spring Is Here

Charles Wesley
03-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Sorry I've been away so long. Have been shooting birds until it warmed up.
Got this photo yesterday morning. I think tulips are a harbinger of spring...

Canon EOS- 5D Mk 11
Sigma 180 mm f/3.5, Canon 12 & 25 mm ET's
Bogen tripod

.4 secs. @ f/20.0
2000 ISO

Canon D.P.P.
PS/CS4
Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0

Anita Bower
03-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Glad to have you back!!

Wonderful yellows, graceful lines, soft shapes. I like this different view of a tulip. You captured the beauty of the shapes and lines. I'm especially impressed with the yellows! I find yellows rather challenging. I love the different shades or tones of yellow here. I just noticed the white frame--I like it very much--subtle but effective.

I wonder what it would look like with a little cropped off the top. I know that would move the focus areas up out of the rule of thirds location, but it might focus my eye on that part more.

Wonderful spring image! No tulips here. :-)

Charles Wesley
03-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Anita,

Thanks for the comments. I agree a crop from the top would be fine. Yellow seems to be a color that gets muddy with digital. It's the brightest color. When I process it, I play with it in PS until I can get it looking the best I can. Red is the other color one needs to be careful with in the digital age. As always, thanks for all your wonderful suggestions.

They always help me...

Steve Maxson
03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Hi Charles. I can't help but notice an overall yellow cast to your image - just kidding!:bg3: You handled the yellows very well and I like all the subtle color variations. This turned out well for ISO 2000! For my taste, the image has just the right amount of sharpness and DOF. The white border is a nice touch and while cropping is usually somewhat subjective, this presentation works for me. Well done.

Charles Wesley
03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Steve,

Love your sense of humor. It's very refreshing. Don't mind dialing up the ISO with my camera. Took a class in how to use Topaz Denoise. Really like it...

Roman Kurywczak
03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Hey Charles,
Always nice to have you drop in! I agree with the crop idea but this does also work as presented. You may try toying in selective color to tweak the yellows or add blue in selective color. these 2 should allow you to tame the yellow and get a bit more depth. Just some ideas to keep in mind.

Charles Wesley
03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Roman,

Thanks for the help. I love selective color. Use it with black all the time. Will go back to my photo and play in PS. Can't wait...

Ken Childs
03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey Charlie, nice to see you posting here again! I agree that you did a great job with these yellows. This is a great example of what can be done with tubes attached....the shallow DOF looks fantastic with this subject! I can see taking a small slice off the top but it does work well as presented. :S3:

Brendan Dozier
03-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Real nice lines and subtle color variations, Charles. Makes for a very pleasing graphic abstract design. Well done!

Mitch Haimov
03-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Great use of subtle shading; lovely softness with detail. Not another "seed packet" shot! I would like to see it with about half of the space between the top of the subject and the top of the frame cropped. Great work!