PDA

View Full Version : Longwood Leopard Prince

Norm Dulak
03-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Canon PowerShot S90, IS, HH
ISO Equiv. 320; Aperture Priority, f/6.3 @ 1/60 sec
Uncompensated Evaluative Metering
PP: PS CS5 levels, curves and bkg cloning, very modest smart sharpen, no cropping

The thin stem of this Longwood Gardens orchid was supported by a wire and a clamp. They, and some other distracting bkg elements, were cloned out to make this orchid composition. I considered some rotation of the image but decided that I like it best this way.

What do you think about it?

Norm

Roman Kurywczak
03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey Norm,
You got a nice arrangement! I like the way it cascades down. I am debatign the brightness of the blooms. May be that the black BG is playing a role here.....but as I generally like them.....try toning down the blooms a few points and see if that works a bit better. Let's see what others chime in.

Anita Bower
03-20-2011, 05:12 AM
This cascade of Orchids stands out nicely against the black bg. I like the triangular shape of the group and how it is placed in the frame. The flowers look perfect, with no blemishes. Having one turned partly to the side adds interest. Very nicely done. Shows that it is the photographer, not the camera, that makes the image.

I think the pinks and whites are a bit too bright. Toning them down a bit would make the flowers look more natural.

Good work!

Norm Dulak
03-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks Roman and Anita.

But I must admit that where image brightness becomes an issue, I sometimes have difficulty. With issues such as sharpness and composition, it is much more likely that different individual viewers will see things the same way. But in the case of brightness, monitor setup and calibration become very important.

I try to keep my monitor properly adjusted and to bring each image to a level that I feel is proper, as I view it on my monitor. But with the two of you reaching the same conclusion regarding brightness, I may have goofed.

With the attached repost I used the PS CS5 Hue/Saturation Lightness slider to reduce the brightness a bit. Hopefully I've gone far enough, but not too far.

Norm

Steve Maxson
03-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi Norm. This is another very nicely done image with interesting flowers, good comp, and sharpness throughout. I would agree that everyone's monitor may look slightly different, but on mine, the toned down brightness of the repost looks much better. :S3: Well done.

Norm Dulak
03-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks Steve. And I'm definitely pleased that the repost is more to your liking.

Anita Bower
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Norm:

To my eye, the repost is more pleasing. Of course, the person you must please is you!

Do you calibrate your monitor using something like X-Rite?

Norm Dulak
03-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi Anita.

I like the op and the repost, but actually may prefer the latter a bit. :t3
For monitor calibration, I use the ColorMonkey Photo Color Management Solution, which is made by X-Rite. :cheers:

Anita Bower
03-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Anita.

I like the op and the repost, but actually may prefer the latter a bit. :t3
For monitor calibration, I use the ColorMonkey Photo Color Management Solution, which is made by X-Rite. :cheers:

So, our monitors are probably seeing similar colors and intensity. You are getting marvelous shots of Orchids!!

Ken Childs
03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi Norm, this comp is perfect, IMHO! The flowers look too good to be true but I have to agree with the others that the OP is a bit too bright. To me, the repost looks a bit too dark and seems to have lost some contrast. I opened the OP in Photoshop and dropped the highlights down 10% in SH and thought it looked just right. :S3:

I want a Longwood Gardens in my part of the world!

Norm Dulak
03-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi Norm, this comp is perfect, IMHO! The flowers look too good to be true but I have to agree with the others that the OP is a bit too bright. To me, the repost looks a bit too dark and seems to have lost some contrast. I opened the OP in Photoshop and dropped the highlights down 10% in SH and thought it looked just right.

Thanks Ken.

I tried your SH suggestion and it does work pretty well. Little changes can make a substantial difference, as I continually learn from BPN critiques.

As for a Longwood Gardens near you, I'm afraid I can't help you there! :w3

Roman Kurywczak
03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Hey Norm,
Just pooped in and saw what Ken said.....I agreed that the repost was a bit to dark....so glad he gave you a tip to tweak it in between! All starts with a VG comp.....rest is gravy!
PS to Ken.......go buy your wife some flowers.....even Home deopot or Lowes can have some great flowers....if you get them b4 the mobs arive. Local garden centers are usually a better bet.....especially if you have a great one like i do.....Williams Nursery......to get the prime products! Then you can prune them and takes them indoors:bg3:.....and added bonus.....give them to your wife after you are done with them!

Anita Bower
03-21-2011, 04:07 PM
One of the things I admire about your photos, Ken, is that you photograph what is around you!

Ken Childs
03-21-2011, 04:12 PM
One of the things I admire about your photos, Ken, is that you photograph what is around you!
Thanks! It's certainly cheaper that way! :bg3:

Brendan Dozier
03-22-2011, 12:42 AM
This looks great, Norm. As mentioned, black BG really makes the colors pop. I think that was a good call regading toning the brightness a bit, as the repost looks just right. Nicely done!