PDA

View Full Version : White-throated Dipper

Geir Jensen
03-19-2011, 04:34 AM
This image is from south west Norway. It was a cold winter morning, -17 degrees C. I lay on the ice in the River. So it was a cold experience. ISO 200 , 1/100 , F 4,0 , 500mmL 4,0IS , bean bag. Date 23 01 2010.

Colin Driscoll
03-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Very nice! Love the low angle and detail but maybe could be a tad lighter around the face and body. Also a little CCW rotation? Pity the tail is a little oof. Too cold for me though!

Ofer Levy
03-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Excellent work!! Great low angle and eye contact! Agree with Colin about the face needing to be slightly brighter. I think it needs some CW rotation rather than CCW...:w3

Dave Leroy
03-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Lovely photo and great shooting angle.

If mine I might look at setting a grey point and losing some of the blue tones and then lighten the image up a bit and particularly around the head area.

I also like the idea of cropping into more of a pano keeping the ratio top and bottom.

Very nice and good for you to get it.

Dave

Geir Jensen
03-19-2011, 11:03 AM
The bird is darker in the face than on the head, especially in front of the eye. I would be grateful if you could explain to me what CW rotation means.

Dave Leroy
03-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Clock Wise rotation. Running a straight line through the centre of ripple on left hand side to centre on right hand side seems to make sense from a viewing point of view.

There is a list of these abbreviations some where on the website but I can't find it pass on to you.

Dave

Mikko Viljamaa
03-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Ah, I miss these little guys - not necessarily the weather though. Nice low angle and a peaceful image. The reflection (vertical line below the head) looks little odd to me.

Mikko

Geir Jensen
03-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Clock Wise rotation. Running a straight line through the centre of ripple on left hand side to centre on right hand side seems to make sense from a viewing point of view.

There is a list of these abbreviations some where on the website but I can't find it pass on to you.

DaveThank you wery much.

Daniel Cadieux
03-19-2011, 01:44 PM
This image should really shine once the bird is lightened and CW rotation performed.

Judging by the slow SS I would highly recommend raising the ISO next time...the camera you have has no trouble with higher ISOs...

Geir Jensen
03-19-2011, 03:17 PM
I am very grateful for the feedback. I hope and believe they will make me a better photographer. Thank you, Regards Geir Jensen.

Roman Kurywczak
03-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Hey Geir,
Lightness on the face covered already. You have a great angle here so any PP'ing tweaks you make will only take it over the top!

Ryan Schain
03-19-2011, 06:15 PM
This is so cool. Definitely lighten up the bird, and I agree with the rotation! The angle is outstanding...well done!

Sidharth Kodikal
03-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Superb low angle, HA and fantastic exposure and details. Agree with the need for a bit of CW rotation.
Pushing the iso for a tad more DOF would've been nice, but absolutely love this image as presented.
Thanks for sharing.

John Chardine
03-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Ah, I miss these little guys - not necessarily the weather though. Nice low angle and a peaceful image. The reflection (vertical line below the head) looks little odd to me.

Mikko

But you're in Wisconsin Mikko!