PDA

View Full Version : IcelandAir -- Carry On Limits Only 13lbs !!!

Ken_Bower
03-18-2011, 10:05 PM
I am looking into taking a trip to Iceland over the summer. I always check the size and weight and make sure my photo equipment complies. IcelandAir economy only lets you bring one carry on item, (total length 45" which is fine), but the weight is only 13 lbs :eek: My Hardigg case weighs 10 lbs alone. Has anyone had any experience with IcelandAir and the low weight allowance?

I was also thinking about printing out the website page for each item that will be in my case to show them that I'll have close to 10k worth of gear in it. That may or may not help if I have a problem.:eek:

I'll be using this case:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/568939-REG/Hardigg_Storm_Case_IM2300_00002_iM2300_Storm_Case_ with.html

PS I didn't know where else to post this subject so I posted it here.

Jay Gould
03-19-2011, 01:59 AM
I think it is only a matter of time before we are all going to have to put our gear under the plane and pay the over weight charges for a second piece. We travel more than most, and I have found the some air lines are understanding and willing to give you the extra sports equipment allowance, and others suck!

Insurance through NANPA has assured me that theft or damage when the gear is checked is covered; however little consolation if you do not have your gear.

Michael Yessik
03-21-2011, 05:10 PM
I have traveled with more than one South American airline where the limit is 5kg. The enforcement was totally random - some people were required to check their carry on, some were not. Usually a pound or 2 over is ignored, but a lot would not be. They also gave everyone the opportunity to move some stuff out of the carry on into your regular checked bag. There were definitely overweight charges for checked bags. Since I was with a group, a number of people removed some heavy things from their carry on, left them with the a friend, checked in and then replaced them in the carry on. I am sure that the dollar value will not influence them at all.

Ken_Bower
03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm traveling alone so I guess I'll have to wear a jacket and load up my pockets with stuff, then put it into my carry on after I check in.

Did they make any of you put your camera bodies or lenses into your checked bag?

Jay Gould
03-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Ken, on more than one occasion, right at the check in counter, they weighed by rolling camera bag that I insisted I was taking on the plane and told me it was not too large, just too heavy.

I didn't worry about holding up the line behind me; we always get to the airport early.

I simply up the 300 on one body, the 70-200 on another body, one around my neck and one around Jackie's neck, close the bag and said "weight it!".

They did and off we walked and rolled. The moment I was on the plane everything went back into the bag.

Dumb, huh!

Roger Clark
03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
I simply up the 300 on one body, the 70-200 on another body, one around my neck and one around Jackie's neck, close the bag and said "weight it!".

They did and off we walked and rolled. The moment I was on the plane everything went back into the bag.

Dumb, huh!

Jay,
I've seen this not work on KLM to Tanzania. They say 12 Kg limit to what you carry on, but it is randomly enforced. Iy with have a bag and a camera arounf your shoulder, both count in the weight. I saw one guy seem to struggle with his bag, so they weighed it right at the gate. He took out his 500 f/4 with body on it and had to check the bag.

But it seems that stuff in your pockets does not count, even if its 30 Kg of gear stuffed in a photo vest. So I stuff everything I can in my photo vest, and only have the big lens and one body in the bag so the bag is within limits.

Bizarre!

Roger

Jay Gould
03-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Bizarre is an understatement!

Someday WE will be weighed too!

The vest is the only way to travel even if you do not use it in the field. One large pocket gets the 24-105; the other gets the 100 macro. Smaller pockets are full of extenders and batteries.

I even bought a vest for Jackie to carry some of my gear!