PDA

View Full Version : Common Redpoll, leucistic

donwigle
03-18-2011, 01:03 PM
This leucistic Common Redpoll has been seen for several weeks now at feeders just west of Ottawa, Canada. Photo details: March 16, 2011, 3pm, Canon Mk IV, 300/4/IS lens, 2X TC, f9, 1/400, ISO 1600, -0.33 compensation. Edited in RPP, ACR and NX2. No noise reduction.

https://sites.google.com/a/ontariobird.com/ontario-birds/Home/recent-photos/Common%20Redpoll%2C%20leucistic_Hilda_03162011_266 web.jpg

Dave Leroy
03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
An interesting looking bird and good for you to get a photo.

I am not quite sure if focus was spot on or whether this is a large crop or my eyes/monitor.

Crop seems abit tight on tail and if mine I would take out bg colours just behind bird to right.

There must be a way you can post and have photo appear with your post rather than a link. Perhaps a mod will get it straightened away.

Dave

donwigle
03-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks Dave. The focus was just behind the eye. Crop was about 50%. My membership seems to not allow me to upload files.

An interesting looking bird and good for you to get a photo.

I am not quite sure if focus was spot on or whether this is a large crop or my eyes/monitor.

Crop seems abit tight on tail and if mine I would take out bg colours just behind bird to right.

There must be a way you can post and have photo appear with your post rather than a link. Perhaps a mod will get it straightened away.

Dave

Daniel Cadieux
03-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I gotta get there if I can only find the time!! I think a day off from work sounds pretty good :c3:.

A great look at this special fella. Not crazy about the blunt perch ending...you could alway crop down to hide that. I'd also fix the smudge on right edge.

P.S. You have to copy/paste the image URL in the "Insert Image" box (square icon with tree inside).

Paul Lagasi
03-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Don I must be out of the loop, where is this bird being seen? I like the image, ditto on the smudges..but wow, would love an image like this for my life list. Way to go Don.

Daniel Cadieux
03-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Paul, you sure are out of the loop!! Hilda feeders....shhhh!:S3:

donwigle
03-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi Dan, Thanks for tip re pasting url. Will try those edits. It is worth a trip to Hilda for the leucistic. Stop at Deschenes Rapids turnoff along the Ottawa River Parkway and check out the newly arrived Wood Ducks...we waited about 30 minutes before they flew in.

donwigle
03-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Hi Paul, The leucistic seems to favour the "central" feeders at Hilda....between two shrubs. Low light the day I was there and I did not use flash but would have if I had it with me!

Paul Lagasi
03-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks Don and Dan...bird was still there this morning, lots of people, lots of Redpolls. Even a few Hoary.
Great addition to my library...TFS