PDA

View Full Version : Two Calla Lilies

Anita Bower
03-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Taken in the conservatory at Longwood Gardens last week. I liked how these two Calla Lilies interacted with each other.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f40 (Relative), 1/6 sec., ISO 160. Tripod, manual exposure, manual focus (Live View). Diffuser over Lilies to avoid blown out whites.

PP: PS7 and Elements 7--basic adjustments only.

I'm guessing someone is going to want more room at the bottom.

C&C always welcome!:S3:

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Hey Anita,
I'm debating this one as I sort of feel things are clipped (bottom & RH side more than the other areas) more than cut deliberately. This is by no means an easy feat to pull off and wondering if ecploring even a tighter crop off bottom and right....leaving some of the dark negative space.....may work better comp wise. If I get a bit more time later today or tomorrow I will explore some for you.

Anita Bower
03-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Hey Anita,
I'm debating this one as I sort of feel things are clipped (bottom & RH side more than the other areas) more than cut deliberately. This is by no means an easy feat to pull off and wondering if ecploring even a tighter crop off bottom and right....leaving some of the dark negative space.....may work better comp wise. If I get a bit more time later today or tomorrow I will explore some for you.

I have several other compositions of these two flowers which I will work on. Here is a repost with some cropping off right side and top, and some canvas added to the bottom. I also cleaned up the area above the bottom curl.

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I think the flow works better.....let's see what others chime in!

Steve Maxson
03-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi Anita. I think your repost is an improvement - the additional room at the bottom really helps. I like the way you have lined these up such that the "tail" of the first flower seems to curl around the pistol of the second. Very good DOF and you captured a lot of detail in the whites. I'm thinking that I might like a little more brightness in the background so we could see the stem of the first flower a little better. :S3: