PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird Locations

Matt Shetzer
03-17-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm looking for a location to photograph Hummingbirds in the US this summer on the East Coast. I'm starting a journey in an RV from South Texas over to the Carolinas and heading North until Canada. I'd love to devote a couple of weeks to setting up a couple of feeders and photographing some hummingbirds.

Does anyone have any recommendation of places that have a couple of difference species and are plentiful?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Aidan Briggs
03-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Hey Matt,

Don't know of any specific locations, but generally anywhere with a lot of flowers or feeders should have hummingbirds. On the east coast there is only one species of hummingbird: the Ruby-throated Hummingbird, though you might find Buff-bellied Hummingbirds in Texas. For multiple species of hummingbirds, you are going to want to visit the western states especially Arizona, Colorado, and California.

Where I live in California we have Anna's, Allen's, Rufous, and sometimes Black-chinned Hummingbirds.

Matt Shetzer
03-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the tips !
Matt

Hey Matt,

Don't know of any specific locations, but generally anywhere with a lot of flowers or feeders should have hummingbirds. On the east coast there is only one species of hummingbird: the Ruby-throated Hummingbird, though you might find Buff-bellied Hummingbirds in Texas. For multiple species of hummingbirds, you are going to want to visit the western states especially Arizona, Colorado, and California.

Where I live in California we have Anna's, Allen's, Rufous, and sometimes Black-chinned Hummingbirds.