PDA

View Full Version : Oryx in Habitat

Ken Watkins
03-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Well hardly you do not normally see them paddling.

Taken on Etosha Pan 7th September 2008

EOS 1D MkIIn

28-300mm at 200mm

F9, ISO 250, 1/400

Rachel Hollander
03-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Ken - nice habitat shot. I like the side light and the movement in the water from the drinking oryx but I feel like there's a little too much negative space to the right. I wonder if it's because of the position of the rear animal.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
03-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Can't say I've ever seen them IN water as they don't need/depend on it, so an interesting habitat/behavioral image here Ken, well done. :cheers:
Every time I see these guys can't help but be amazed at the size and power of their horns, two fine specimens.
TFS

Steve Canuel
03-17-2011, 11:03 PM
A unique look at these guys in a different environment. Heard we have imported some of these to parts of New Mexico for hunting purposes. Fulfilling the critiquing nature of the forum, it would have been nice to get an isolated vertical shot of the nearer, in focus one.

Ken Watkins
03-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Rachel,

I wondered about the crop as well, but I did not wish to be criticised for making it too square, in future I will take no notice of breaches of the "rules":bg3:

Marc,

Thanks for that the reason I posted it was that it was "different", thanks for appreciating this.

Steve,

I must admit I do not really like the use of "unique" much preferring relatively rare, but I know what you mean. The sighting was not very conducive the pan was qite a long way away from the road, I also wish I could have got something a little better, I'll be there in June and am hoping for better luck. Disgraceful news on the hunting situation, but then what can you expect, not only do they shoot "our" animals but now they do not wish to benefit our economy.

Steve Canuel
03-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Ken,
Responding here to avoid hijacking Morkel's thread. Thanks for the link to the article on the lions, an interesting read.

Ken Watkins
03-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Steve,

I am glad that you enjoyed a different point of view, I have no agenda here, I just do not like missleading information being posted. If I had PM facilities I would of course answered your question privately.

Cheers

Ken

Harshad Barve
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Love the POV here , excellent habitat shot
TFS