PDA

View Full Version : Bath time

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I was out shooting with Robert Amoruso at Merritt Island NWR on Tuesday. We had a wonderful time and I will put in a plug for going with Ronert. This was my fourth trip with him and I have never failed to have a good time and learned nw tricks and techniques. Thanks again Robert. Anyway we saw a group of Skimmers and this one was bathing and I enjoyed watcvhing and photographing him. I lay on the ground and used Robert's self desighned sand scooter for a base. Shooting info follows:
Nikon D3S
2011:03:15 15:18:34
1200mm
1200mm (in 35mm film)
Subject dist: 25m
1/1250 sec, f/9
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 64.5MB
Image size: 2100 x 1508
Color space: sRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sRGB

Dave Leroy
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
A very interesting looking photo Wheeler.

I am not sure where the focus point is but the bill looks a bit sharper to me than the eye.

A bit of separation between bill and far wing would have been nice I think, and perhaps a touch of ccw rotation.

I like the nice low shooting angle and excellent eye contact.

I think the biggest problem I have with this photo is that the bird looks like it is emerging from something sticky. Of course it is not because it is water. I guess the ss freezes the water in place and it seems to become something that it is not and certainly not what we remembered at the time.

Glad that you enjoyed the outing with Robert. I just finished an outing with Glenn Bartley and thoroughly enjoyed it as well and learned lots.

Dave

Doug Brown
03-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Great eye contact and nice exposure. The trailing water really does give things a sticky look. Sharpness could be a little better; were you using the Nikon 2x? Also I'd like more room around the bird (a little on the left and a bit more up top and on the right.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Love the exposure and details in black and white here, also like the low angle of capture. The water does look sticky but somehow I like it with this crop, it gives me a sense of struggling of the bird which I think go well with tight crop. I might try sharpen the head more.

Katie Rupp
03-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Love the exposure and details in black and white here, also like the low angle of capture. The water does look sticky but somehow I like it with this crop, it gives me a sense of struggling of the bird which I think go well with tight crop. I might try sharpen the head more.

Well said; it does have a sense of struggle...creating a bit of dramatic tension.

Mikko Viljamaa
03-17-2011, 09:32 PM
I agree with Doug and Thanaboon. Bird seems to struggle and slightly tight composition does not help that impression. Sharpness looks pretty OK to me.

Mikko

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-18-2011, 07:26 AM
I tried to loosen the crop a bit and wondering if you think it is an improvement or do we need even more room? To answer Doug's guestion, yes it is a Nikon 2x extender. I have had very good luck with it. Thanks for all your coments as they are all very helpful.
Mac