PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Batteries & Charger for Flash

Paul Guris
03-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I plan on working more on learning how to best use my SB-900 flash, so I want to move to rechargeable batteries. I've seen multiple brands of batteries and chargers recommended. My biggest concern is buying batteries that will hold their charge. I expect I'll have weeks or even months when I don't do much with the flash, and I don't want to pick it up and find the batteries have drained.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan Brown
03-16-2011, 04:50 PM
The Delkin products seem to work well.

John Chardine
03-16-2011, 07:26 PM
I just use Energizer Nickel metal hidride AAs and they work great.

Alan Lillich
03-16-2011, 08:36 PM
The Delkin AA's are 2900 MAh, the highest I've found. None of the NiMh batteries hold their charge for weeks on the shelf. There are supposedly new chemistry batteries coming out that hold longer, but I'm not familiar with them. I find that doing a refresh charge a day or two before use is not a big deal - and that only if they have been sitting for 2 weeks or longer. And you should never store a flash with batteries installed - leave the batteries in overnight only when actively using. The risk of leakage is low, but still if it happens can ruin the flash. Buy a few 2700 MAh Maha batteries, they seem to ship scads of nice plastic boxes that hold 4 with each order - far more boxes than the batteries you buy. At least they did for me a couple of years ago.

William Malacarne
03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
This may be what you are looking for I bought a set a long with the charger but have not really tried them enough to say how good they are. When I got them they were charged. After recharge the next time I used them was a few times about 3 weeks later and they worked.

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargable-Batteries/dp/B000IV0REA/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Bill

Alan Lillich
03-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Bill,

But those Eneloops are only 2000 MAh, 2/3 the capacity of the 2900 MAh Delkins. I'll take the higher capacity and recharge after long times on the shelf.

Alan

William Malacarne
03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes Alan, but the OP asked for batteries that would hold a charge.

Bill

Steven Kersting
03-16-2011, 09:20 PM
I use powergenix NiZn....
Higher output, long shelf time between recharge, faster recycle times, environmentally friendly...

The negative is, because they recharge the flash MUCH quicker, there is the potential for melting your flash. I guess the fact that they require their own charger (not compatible w/ NiCd/NiMh chargers).

I've used Energizer, Eneloopes, Duracell, NiCd/NiMh and these perform the best IMO...but some might say they work "too good" (see negative above)...I haven't tried the Delkin mentioned by Dan.