PDA

View Full Version : Snowdrop Macro

Anita Bower
03-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm fascinated with photographing Snowdrops this spring. Here I was experimenting with extension tubes, in this case 35mm. I'm not sure I like extension tubes.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f4.5, 1/20 sec., ISO 125. Manual focus and manual exposure. PP: PS7: levels, curves, saturation, color balance. Slight crop.

Ken Childs
03-16-2011, 07:20 AM
HI Anita, I like the comp and this subject has some nice flowing curves to it. The overall color looks a bit muddy....a selective color adjustment lowering the blacks in the whites might make those whites pop a bit more. This is a shot that would benefit from a thin black border for posting on BPN. 2 or 3 pixels should be enough to help separate it from BPN's light BG.

Extension tubes take a bit of getting used to. They really help to get in close but also significantly reduce the DOF and the amount of light getting to the camera. The shallow DOF can be put to good use when you're trying for an extremely soft image. This is when live view can be helpful in getting that one sharp area, especially when the camera is hooked up to a computer.

Anita Bower
03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks for your comments, Ken. I completely agree. I appreciate your thoughts.

I've decided to get rid of my extension tubes--selling them to a friend who is going to use them with her 50mm to create a macro lens. I realized I don't want to go in the direction of more abstract work. But. it was good to try :w3

Steve Maxson
03-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Anita. There are some good comments by Ken for you to consider. For me, I think the image would have more appeal if the leading edges of the petals were a little sharper throughout - but then, I'm not an abstract thinker and other folks may have different thoughts. :S3:

Anita Bower
03-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi Anita. There are some good comments by Ken for you to consider. For me, I think the image would have more appeal if the leading edges of the petals were a little sharper throughout - but then, I'm not an abstract thinker and other folks may have different thoughts. :S3:

Thanks, Steve. I agree.

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey Anita,
Yeah.....tubes are tough.....in general I try not to use them but often I have to use the 20 in between my 1.4 and the Sigma 180.......not often but since they are light I generally carry the 20mm at all times....even though I don't often use it. Can't add much on the great advice above as I struggle with soft focus too. Soft focus is something I plan on working on more this spring.....just to get out of my comfort zone of f22-32. It should be quite an interesting ride!

Anita Bower
03-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Hey Anita,
Yeah.....tubes are tough.....in general I try not to use them but often I have to use the 20 in between my 1.4 and the Sigma 180.......not often but since they are light I generally carry the 20mm at all times....even though I don't often use it. Can't add much on the great advice above as I struggle with soft focus too. Soft focus is something I plan on working on more this spring.....just to get out of my comfort zone of f22-32. It should be quite an interesting ride!

I'm looking forward to your soft focus images!