PDA

View Full Version : BIF: hand Held or Tripod

Chuck Nakell
03-15-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd like to hear from those that keep their long lens on their tripod head to shoot birds in flight. I've been hand holding for my shots, but despite high shutter speeds, I'm now stating to think they may be improved by keeping my lens attached to a gimbal?

What works for you?

Daniel Cadieux
03-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I can't really speak for tripod use (don't use one much), but with proper hand-holding and panning technique I can't imagine anything beating handheld for BIF. When the action is furious (e.g. flock of gulls) it is so easy to maneuver to pick and choose (and lock onto) a subject and easy to track erratic flight paths.

I've been hand holding for my shots, but despite high shutter speeds, I'm now stating to think they may be improved by keeping my lens attached to a gimbal?

What are you not happy with...sharpness? tracking the subject? difficulty focusing?

Perhaps someone with more tripod BIF experience will chime in...

Roger Clark
03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Chuck,

I use a Wimberly with my 500 f/4 almost all the time. So all the 500 mm images in my bird gallery with the 500 were with the wimberly on a tripod, or for those in Africa, a wimberly on a safari vehicle.
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bird/

Pretty much any 300 mm image (I use 300 f/3 L IS and 300 f/2.8 L IS) are hand held or on a beanbag.

I find bird's in flight tracking with the 500 on the wimberly better for me than hand holding, but find the smaller lenses (e.g 300 f/2.8) easier to hand hold than to track on the wimberly.

Roger

Dan Brown
03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I find it very hard to shoot BIF on a tripod. I am only using a 400mm for bif, which is pretty light. But, lots of top shooters here handhold 500 and 600mm's. IMO, some keys are - really high SS's (1500 minimum), equipment that tracks and stay locked on really good (what are you using?) and really good tracking skills! It takes practice!!

I also believe that you are better off shooting in manual exp mode.:eek:

Charles Glatzer
03-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I shoot both on a tripod and hand held depending on the situation and intend targets movements. Typically, 300 f/2.8 or less I handhold, unless horizon alignment is paramount. If subjects are not high in the sky and predicable in movement I prefer to use a tripod with gimbal head for 500/600. That said, if the situation warrants I will shoot the 500 handheld and have even done so with my 600 and 2x when necessary for short bursts.

There are no definitives, and no right or wrong way! No Gospel, and that includes the Pro's. If you are not comfortable it will be apparent in your images.

Best,

Chas

Susan Liddle
03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Chuck
Since 2006 I've been using a Wimberley gimbal head with either a 600/4 or a 400/2.8 lens - and at times tcs. I've been very happy with the results although initially I did have a bit of trouble finding the birds - especially with the 600 and teleconverter. What has helped me is to have the knurled knob on the lens hood at the top of the lens barrel. I lay my left arm and hand along the top of the barrel, so my fingers are sort of pointing at the bird. Also I can press down slightly (or a lot, of it is very windy) to steady the lens. I have a hand strap on the camera body also so I don't have to think about gripping the body with my right hand as I move about tracking the subject. I've seen photos of myself in action and it looks strange but has been a good technique for me.
Best,
Susan

Doug Brown
03-20-2011, 01:07 PM
For BIF I handhold 100% of the time, and my lens of choice is the 600mm f/4. I'd like the answers to the questions that Daniel posed, because your answers will help shape mine. It'd help if you could post a sample frame or two of the problems you've been having, along with EXIF info. I'd also like to know what gear you're using and what your AF settings are. Overall I agree with Chas; it's all about whatever gets the best results for you.

Randy Stout
03-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Chuck:

I use a Wimberley II on a Gitzo most of the time for BIF. I shoot out of boats a lot (loons) and often will have to have the camera in position and ready to shoot for long periods of time, so hand holding isn't an option. Plus, I am running the boat, so often have to let go of the camera gear and attend to my
driving.

I generally have a second body with a shorter lens (300mm or so) either beside me if I am sitting in the boat or hanging from a black rapid strap if I am standing.

I certainly agree that birds high overhead are a challenge on the tripod, but since I don't like those shots generally, it isn't an issue for me.

Chas stated it well. Basically use the tool that works for the circumstances you find yourself in.
I personally can't keep the sensor of a 600mm lens with crop body and or TC on a flying bird hand held. I can do it reasonably well with the Wimberley.

Try them both!

Part of the fun/challenge of bird photography

Randy

Michael Lloyd
03-20-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't keep track of it but I would guess that I hand hold BIF shots 9 out 10 times. Most of the time I shoot a 600mm f4L IS. Every now and then I'll use an 800 f5.6L IS. My preference is toward the 600.

Allen Hirsch
03-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't keep track of it but I would guess that I hand hold BIF shots 9 out 10 times. Most of the time I shoot a 600mm f4L IS. Every now and then I'll use an 800 f5.6L IS. My preference is toward the 600.

Michael:
what techniques did you learn to handle lenses that long/heavy handheld?

Michael Lloyd
03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Michael:
what techniques did you learn to handle lenses that long/heavy handheld?

Nothing fancy really. I anchor my left elbow into the left side of my stomach and cradle the lens foot in the palm of my left hand. The first time I tried it I had three frames. One with the bird in the bottom. One with the bird in the middle. And one with the bird at the top. :c3:

george fraser
10-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I am only shooting a 200mm max on a Nikon d300. I had to purchase a really right stuff rail that attached to the lens.
the rail has extra locations for thread. I attached a wood handle to help me hand hold to shoot B I F

I look like I am shooting a tommy gun.

I am at 800 ISO, 1600 shutter and 7.1 early in the morning.

later I drop to 400 iso.

George