PDA

View Full Version : Common Grackle

Steven Kersting
03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I did a ton of background editing to get rid of a few very distracting dark twigs. The problem was the background was already very blurry so the twigs were huge and close to the subject. Cloning etc didn't seem to work very well on their own. The primary question is, how obvious is it? Of course any other input is welcome.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90272&d=1300151104

800mm, f/8, 1/1000, 1250, handheld

Mack Hicks
03-14-2011, 09:26 PM
I think you did a very good job. Love the the multicolored iridescence of the feathers which you captured well. There is some loss of detail in the tail feathers, but looks in focus. The perch somewhat distracting as the branch the bird is on is at right angles to the OOF main branch, but I think it is a pleasing photo overall.

Steven Kersting
03-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Thank you. While very common here, grackles can be quite hard to photograph well and I didn't want to trash the image.

In hindsight, I chose wide aperture from short range to really blow the background out, but I think it actually made my life more difficult.

Stu Bowie
03-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Hi Steven, good pose, and the light has brought out the iridescence nicely. Whilst I cant see any cloning evidence on the sky BG, there is a strange halo along the perch.

Robert Holguin
03-15-2011, 03:17 AM
A common grackle but wonderfully taken. Great feather color and detail. I see no sign of cloning. Well done.

Steven Kersting
03-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi Steven, good pose, and the light has brought out the iridescence nicely. Whilst I cant see any cloning evidence on the sky BG, there is a strange halo along the perch.

I think it's just verging on CA...(if we're looking at the same thing) The original has it as well.

Steven Kersting
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
A common grackle but wonderfully taken. Great feather color and detail. I see no sign of cloning. Well done.

Thank you.