PDA

View Full Version : Cascade of Pink

Joe Senzatimore
03-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Another from the Lacal Flower show this past weekend. I toyed with the idea of taking out the bud on the lower left but decided against it. interested in your views. This is full frame , no crop.
800 ISO f5.6 at 1/400th
Natural light , no fill
Portable BG

Jerry van Dijk
03-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Joe, very nice details on the flowers and lovely complementary BG. I like that you decided to keep the bud, I feel it adds a little balance to the composition. I would have liked a little more room below. I don't like that the flower on the top right is cut off, but I'm not sure how many options you had to solve this.
I think it's great that you managed to get all the front flowers in focus, while having the other ones just out of focus. What kind of lens did you use for this?

Joe Senzatimore
03-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Joe, very nice details on the flowers and lovely complementary BG. I like that you decided to keep the bud, I feel it adds a little balance to the composition. I would have liked a little more room below. I don't like that the flower on the top right is cut off, but I'm not sure how many options you had to solve this.
I think it's great that you managed to get all the front flowers in focus, while having the other ones just out of focus. What kind of lens did you use for this?

Sigma 150 f2.8 macro. A super sweet lens.:bg3::bg3::bg3:
Had to compose it this way as there were no other options due to crowds and bad lighting in some spots. The garden center that runs the show allows us to use tripods for the first hour. After that , hand held only which makes this type of photography very difficult. You have to maximize the hour and work fast.

Steve Maxson
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi Joe. Another striking image! The background works very well with these flowers. Again, good sharpness in all the key blooms, beautiful light, and I like the curving flow into the frame. I, too, would like a bit more room at the bottom - with this background it should be easy to add some canvas. I would leave the bud in. If anything, you might consider removing the bit of stem that sticks out at the bottom. Very well done. :cheers:

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Joe,
What Steve said:bg3:.......in all seriousness.....besides the stem, I might remove the bloom that is cut in the UR.....then a cascade of wonderful orchids. These are tough in those conditions.....so very nicely done!

Anita Bower
03-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Another glorious Orchid photo! Wow! Stunning detail. Love the soft curve of the stem. Gorgeous colors! Beautiful sharpness for 5.6. I like it with the bud, but would also like it without. I can see reasons for adding canvas to the bottom, but it is OK as is for me. Stunning work.

Ken Childs
03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Another beauty, Joe! I agree that a bit more space would be nice on the bottom but it's still nice as is. I'm going to go against the flow and say I'd prefer this without the bud and the other stem at the bottom. Those dark things are pulling my eye away from the beautiful flowers.

What camera are you using? Please be sure to give us as much info as possible about what equipment was used.

Charles Wesley
03-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Joe,

Great to see your work again. Nice composition, details and color in this phalaenopsis. Orchids are difficult to photograph here. You did a nice job with this plant.

Thanks for sharing...