PDA

View Full Version : Female Golden Fronted Woodpecker

Mack Hicks
03-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Had a pair of golden fronted working overhead from my popup blind. The female stayed mostly in the tree.
D700, 500 f/4 with Kenko 1.4. ISO 800 1/640 f/8.

PP LR3, cropped, brighted a bit, sharped and noise reduction. I did lighten the eye a little selectively, which is a no no for the contest for which this photo was taken.

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Good-looking individual - I'd love to see one of those some day! The pose looks nice and features a perfect HA. I like the patches of yellow showing here and there.

The large OOF tree above is distracting, but you can reduce its impact by cropping down a good portion from above, and then left to retain the aspect ratio. With a bit of work getting rid of the OOF twig at bottom should be easy enough - although I realize the contest rules you mention would frown upon that. When lighten the eye make sure to keep the pupil intact and black (work only on the iris).

Mack Hicks
03-14-2011, 07:02 PM
While I can't use the image in the contest, I did try some of your suggestions. Recropped, then cloned out the little remaining branch. Cloned the most offensive part of the twig away. Thanks for the input.