PDA

View Full Version : Honeybee in Hyacinth patch

Allen Sparks
03-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Canon 40D, Sigma 150mm macro lens plus Tamron SP Pro TC 1.4x
ISO 400, f8, 1/250s, 580 EX II speedlite (EC +2/3), hand held, manual mode

Spring has sprung in Memphis. Shot this today. That is all the room I have on top so the bee is pretty high in the frame.

Anita Bower
03-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Yay! Bees at work! Not up here, yet. I'm not an insect photographer, so I don't know how to help you with that, but I'm sure others will chime in.

Marcin Biskupek
03-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Hello Allen.

ARRRGHHH so sharp in flight... my dream. Gratz.

Joe Senzatimore
03-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Amazing how sharp the Bee is. Just fantastic. 1/250th is slow for such a sharp capture. well executed. Might crop some off the right as I find it a bit distracting and it doesn't add anything to such a fine image.

bhavya joshi
03-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Good work..Allen,
I like Sharpness, Nice timed, Looks like busy bee..:c3:

Jerry van Dijk
03-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Hi Allen, very nice Bee In Flight shot! I wish you had stepped a little to the right to get rid of the other grape hyacinth in the BG, especially because now it intersects with your main subject.
Very cool! :c3: (I want one as well...)

Steve Maxson
03-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Allen. As we all know, these are difficult shots to get - and you did well with this one. It looks like this bee already has quite a load of pollen. (By the way, everything is still well covered in snow up here.) While this is nicely done, as presented, you might experiment with a tighter crop and see if you can selectively sharpen the bee just a bit more. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Hey Allen,
I think you nailed the focus where it needs it! I think a crop off the bottom works for me (just below the full bloom w/ white tip in center of hyacinth)......a pano in macro!!!.....then I don't mind the oof rh side as it makes a diagonal and gives the feeling of the bee flying from one bloom to the other! Very nicely done overall!

Ken Childs
03-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi Allen,
I definitely agree with the praise by all and the suggestions made by Steve and Roman. I would also consider toning down the highlights on the abdomen. A few minor tweaks will definitely take this one over the top! :S3: