CM Prince
03-13-2011, 08:33 PM
D90, f5.6, 1/2000 sec, 270 mm, iso-800

C&Cs are welcome

Thanks for looking

http://heavensmyhome.com/Birds/G-Kiskadee.jpg

Arthur Morris
03-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Harsh light plus off-angled light are a recipe for making your life difficult.... You needed to move about 90 degrees to your left.

Nice that you got so close to a cool bird but the whites are hot and the shadowed areas too dark....

Mack Hicks
03-13-2011, 10:46 PM
I am jealous that you got a shot. I had a pair in the tree over my blind this morning and couldn't ever get a clear view. Agree with Artie about the harsh light, would fill flash help? Also the background is very noisy. The D 90 should handle the high ISO with less noise. Did you use any noise reduction?

Arthur Morris
03-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Less exposure plus lots of flash can help in situations like this.

CM Prince
03-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Harsh light plus off-angled light are a recipe for making your life difficult.... You needed to move about 90 degrees to your left.

Nice that you got so close to a cool bird but the whites are hot and the shadowed areas too dark....

I understand the Harsh light, but I don't understand the 90 deg left. That would put the bird faceing me, most picture I see is side views. Please explain.

Thanks

CM

Arthur Morris
03-15-2011, 06:13 PM
CM, Sun angle rules, especially when the light is harsh. You need to move far left and a bit forward until your shadow pointed at the bird. Then you would have had a chance to make a decent image in spite of the harsh light. If you could have moved to sun angle and gotten close you could have created a nice vertical.