PDA

View Full Version : Low-light Wood Stork.

Daniel Cadieux
03-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Even though I consider myself steady handholding there is still a limit to what can be done without the need for some support!! For this image I used a low post to brace the camera onto.

A fun evening with only Randy, another IPT participant, and myself returning to Estero Lagoon for a second time that day and we were rewarded with two very cooperative Wood Storks.

Canon 30D + 100-400L @250mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/40s., f/6.3, ISO 800, +1 EC, 580EX II flash @ -1 FEC, FF.

Ed Cordes
03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
The low light produced very interesting color. Do you have one with the entire reflection? If so it might be a nice change from the tight comp.

denise ippolito
03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Daniel, It's nice to see the wonderful collection of images from the IPT. Sharp, well exposed and a nice pose. The soft blue adds to the image.

Arthur Morris
03-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Sweet soft light. Where did you find a low post???

Tom Rambaut
03-13-2011, 09:10 PM
I love the detail is the neck area.

Great image Daniel.

Randy Stout
03-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Daniel:

That was one of the most magical evenings of photography I have experienced. The wood storks were great subjects.

This one is really excellent, sharp, with a nice balance of ambient light and flash.

I might consider reducing the catchlight just a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Sweet soft light. Where did you find a low post???

Thanks Artie!

There was/is a low post near the base of the first pier (coming in from the Holiday Inn).

Steven Kersting
03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Love the exposure and detail in the whites.
I agree about the catchlight. I don't really think the problem is that it's "too hot", but rather "too centered" and looks just a bit odd.

Arthur Morris
03-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks Artie!

There was/is a low post near the base of the first pier (coming in from the Holiday Inn).

YAW. Thanks for the info.

Arthur Morris
03-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Love the exposure and detail in the whites.
I agree about the catchlight. I don't really think the problem is that it's "too hot", but rather "too centered" and looks just a bit odd.

Steven, The bird is well back in the frame. Where would you have liked Dan to put the bird?

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Daniel, superb IQ for low light shot. Nice look back pose and very good whites. perfect HA IMO.

Daniel Cadieux
03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
The low light produced very interesting color. Do you have one with the entire reflection? If so it might be a nice change from the tight comp.

Hey Ed, I forgot to answer your question! There was a second stork just out of the picture at right, so any wider introduced parts of it in the frame. I did, however, get full reflections with both of them in the frame.

Steven Kersting
03-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Steven, The bird is well back in the frame. Where would you have liked Dan to put the bird?

Not the bird; the catchlight on the eye....it looks kind of like a white pupil. It's a minor nit but if toned down or "moved" I think it would help.

Might be more obviously a catchlight when viewed larger.

Pieter de Waal
03-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Nice image with good light and superb detail Daniel. You do manage to get great detail with the 100-400.

Arthur Morris
03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Not the bird; the catchlight on the eye....it looks kind of like a white pupil. It's a minor nit but if toned down or "moved" I think it would help.

Might be more obviously a catchlight when viewed larger.

Thanks for the correction. You must have better eyes than I do....

We try to avoid the use of the words nits and nit-picking here as they carry negative implications.

Steven Kersting
03-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the correction. You must have better eyes than I do....

We try to avoid the use of the words nits and nit-picking here as they carry negative implications.

Maybe a better prescription....
got it.

Arthur Morris
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I already have two sets of reading glasses of different strengths. But the truth is that I simply do not have a good eye for fine detail.

James Salywoda
03-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Excellent pose and shot Daniel I like the calmness in the water and the Stork really stands out against that bg.

Herb Houghton
03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
I like the look back Dan. The light blue looks nice like Denise mentioned too. The exposure and sharpness look right on to me.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Daniel, I love this image. The whites look so gorgeous. Perfect look back pose, and calm, beautiful water.
Love the placement in the frame and especially appreciate the exposure and the awesome use of flash.
I really enjoy your work.

Ron Caswell
03-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Great looking image, Simple clean lines and nice pose. Ron

donwigle
03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Lovely image Dan. Great control of lighting/flash with a high-contrast subject.