A shaky tripod in the surf.
2.5 sec.
52mm
iso100
f8

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_1351.jpg

Dave Mills
03-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi Dan, I like the contrast between the rocks,sky and breakers. I brought this into PS and looked at lightening the rocks a bit to bring out more detail but found it took away some of the impact between the dark rocks and the sky so IMO would leave as is.
Compositionally another option would have been adding more space to the front otherwise nicely done...

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey Dan,
I'm with Dave on this one.....this one has a nice dark and moody feel to it. A strudy tripod is a must for landscapes.....so gald to see you didn't lose any sharpness due to it! Nicely done!

dankearl
03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Roman, I do have a good Manfrotto tripod, but when you are literally in the Pacific ocean surf for a 2.5 second shot with shifting sand, etc. there was some shake and the photo is not as crisp as I would like.
Funny, it was a very calm morning and gentle (for the Oregon coast) waves.
That is what I liked about the long exposure, it looks like storm seas!

Jay Gould
03-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Lovely image.

Would the same effect result if you used an ND filter and shortened the exposure? Perhaps the SR Vari-ND?

Dave; Roman?

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Lovely image.

Would the same effect result if you used an ND filter and shortened the exposure? Perhaps the SR Vari-ND?

Dave; Roman?
Generally no.....as the long exposure is what gives you the silky look......but it does depend on the flow or wave action also. In general I find that waves need longer exposures.....which is why I like the Singh Ray Vari ND.......can try different SS's to get the desired look I want. Sorry for the late reply....been swamped since I came back from Florida and getting ready to leave for Arches on Wednesday!

Jay Gould
03-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Generally no.....as the long exposure is what gives you the silky look......but it does depend on the flow or wave action also. In general I find that waves need longer exposures.....which is why I like the Singh Ray Vari ND.......can try different SS's to get the desired look I want. Sorry for the late reply....been swamped since I came back from Florida and getting ready to leave for Arches on Wednesday!

Roman, is you answer a bit contradictory? You start by saying "generally no" and then you say they you like using the SR Vari ND for the needed longer exposures which allows you to vary SS. :2

Roman Kurywczak
03-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Roman, is you answer a bit contradictory? You start by saying "generally no" and then you say they you like using the SR Vari ND for the needed longer exposures which allows you to vary SS. :2
Well yes.....it was designed to be contradictory:eek:...just seeing if you were paying attention:bg3:! While I generally find you need the longer SS's for the ocean.......shorter ones usually work better for waterfalls and fresh water. I wanted to make that clear.....and I think you helped me!:t3

Jay Gould
03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Always willing to help you, Mate! :5

Robert Amoruso
03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Dan,

I think your captured your vision really well here. I like it - dark, moody and the right amount of motion blur to the waves.