PDA

View Full Version : Just found a weird "color glitch"...

Steven Kersting
03-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I just noticed that if I copy an image and paste it into PS (CS5) the colors change. It's not always very noticeable but in this one case it's rather significant.... I've checked my color settings, color space, tried several different browsers (firefox, chrome, safari), saving vs copying, etc etc.
I even tried different backgrounds in PS since the luminance levels affect perception....

WTF? No matter what I do I cannot get the "browser version" to look the same as the PS version..

I don't think recalibrating will change anything significant since it's only been a couple weeks....(I use ColorEyes Pro)

Any Suggestions????

WIlliam Maroldo
03-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Why are you copying and pasting an image into PS? The image is actually copied to the clipboard, then copied from there. I'm guessing the color space of the copied image might be different than what had been set as the image editor's working colorspace. In CS in "color settings". Saving the image as a sRGB jpeg is best for the web since it should look the same in different browsers. I might be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure it is sRGB. regards~Bill

Daniel Cadieux
03-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Yes, sounds like a colour space issue. If the image you "copied" or saved onto your HD is in RGB, then it will look different once "pasted" or opened in CS5.

Steven Kersting
03-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Why are you copying and pasting an image into PS? The image is actually copied to the clipboard, then copied from there. I'm guessing the color space of the copied image might be different than what had been set as the image editor's working colorspace. In CS in "color settings". Saving the image as a sRGB jpeg is best for the web since it should look the same in different browsers. I might be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure it is sRGB. regards~Bill

This is correct. The reason to copy/paste is if the original file is not mine....(i.e. assisting w/ editing suggestions)

The issue turns out to be the original files are sRGB but the color space was not embedded into the file, among other things.

Steven Kersting
03-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes, sounds like a colour space issue. If the image you "copied" or saved onto your HD is in RGB, then it will look different once "pasted" or opened in CS5.

This is not necessarily true....it will be if I assign it a new color space upon import/pasting but it should not look different if I use sRGB or embedded (for web based images)

Steven Kersting
03-13-2011, 10:15 AM
I found the answer HERE (http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html)

Basically it comes down to this, most web browsers are not color managed regardless.

Safari is color managed and is ICCv4 compliant which means it reads all color spaces correctly (even untagged) and displays them accordingly. This also means there will be some differences when viewed on your computer.

Firefox *can be* color managed but is not ICCv4 compliant. What this means is you have to turn on color management (instructions are in the link) and I also had to recalibrate my monitor to a V2 ICC (I use color eyes and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to change it). Firefox is then *fully color managed*. What this means is that all images are displayed the same on your monitor. This is a little different than Safari in that Safari shows you what it looks like on the originating monitor (kind of) and Firefox shows you what it should look like on your monitor.....

I can't decide which is "better".

I don't think any of this is an issue *if* the images have Srgb color space EMBEDDED in the image.

I found the images with issue were Srgb, but unembedded.....If I copied the files directly to desktop and then used an exif reader on them they had no/invalid header.