PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Streamscape

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Taken early one morning in the Giant's Castle region, Drakensberg, South Africa.

Blend of 3 exposures. I wish there was more drama in the sky, but this is what I got on our 2-night stay. Will have to return, but next time I am going to the bearded vulture hide :w3

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM
f16 @ ISO-100

Ed Cordes
03-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Wonderful scene with great light on the BG mountain. For my taste I would like to see a bit more black in the FG stream and grass on left. To my eye it would look a bit more natural.

Andrew McLachlan
03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Hi Morkel, love the light on the distant mountains. A nice wide angle scene with the river leading us up to the beautiful mountain light and a good idea to include as little of the sky as possible. I wonder if the grasses could use a touch more contrast. I am wanting to swing the camera to the right just a little more to see more of the river on the right side of the comp. Was there something there that would have spoiled the comp if it were included? However, I like this comp very much. Nice work!

Dave Mills
03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi Morkel,good job with the HDR which evened out the exposure. I agree with Andrew's critique. He covered the points I was considering....

Morkel Erasmus
03-14-2011, 05:13 PM
thanks for weighing in guys

Andrew - I wanted to include as much of the LHS cliffs as possible as that was far more "photogenic" than the shrubby hills on the RHS. I could probably have included a little more river but I was scampering for compositions here, I might have one? :)

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Hey Morkel,
Thoughts covered well here but overall I find this one works well overall. Glad to see you minimized the sky!

Morkel Erasmus
04-08-2011, 04:47 AM
thanks Roman...