PDA

View Full Version : Heart-leaf Pelargonium

Norm Dulak
03-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Canon PowerShot S90, HH
ISO Equiv. 320, uncompensated Evaluative Metering, aperture priority, IS
1/160 sec @ f/6.3
PP: PS CS5 levels, curves, cloning removal of a small dried blossom on a leaf and minor leaf blemishes, extremely minor cropping, and judicious smart sharpen

What I find most interesting about this Longwood Gardens plant are the colors, and the wide variety of delicate structural elements within it.

Please share your opinions of this image.

Norm

Anita Bower
03-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I like the composition a lot. It stood out for me in the thumbnail. The flowers seem to stand out from the leaves, and are sharp and gorgeously captured. Gorgeous colors. I like that the two buds on either side are within the frame. I wouldn't change anything. Lovely work!.

I love that you used a Canon Powershot, not a DSLR!:S3:

Ken Childs
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Hey Norm, like Anita I already liked what I was seeing in the thumbnail and when I opened up the post, I wasn't disappointed at all! The comp looks great as do the colors and sharpness of the flowers. I would be curious to see how this would look with a very minor CCW rotation, assuming you have enough extra canvas to try that.

I wish I had a place as nice as Longwood in my area!

Steve Maxson
03-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi Norm. A striking image! Proves that you don't need the most expensive gear to take quality photos. These are very interesting flowers. I like the soft light, the comp, and the good sharpness throughout. I haven't seen these flower before, but I'm wondering if they could be just a bit darker? Well done.

Norm Dulak
03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! :bg3: I'm afraid though that I don't have the extra canvas needed to carry out the rotation that Ken thinks might be interesting.

And thanks, Steve, for pointing out that you don't always need fancy equipment to get good results. Linda and I alternate in what we use during our monthly visits to Longwood Gardens. One of us will have available a D300 or D7000 with the 105 Micro Nikkor lens plus the twin strobes, extension tubes and close-up filters. The other will pocket the little Canon. Used with care, that S90 produces beautiful results, with great dof.

Norm