PDA

View Full Version : Dancing cranes

Loong-Tat Wong
03-12-2011, 04:57 AM
Hi
This pair of japanese red cranes was nicely isolated by themselves when they started their incredible courtship dance. It was spectacular to watch and hope you will like this image.

Image details:7D FL 600mm f8 1/1250 EV+0.6 ISO 200 tripod natural light full frame

Randy Stout
03-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Loong-Tat:

Nice interaction, I am sure it was neat to view live.

Good exposure, sharp. Normally I would have opted for a larger f/stop to improve your subject isolation from the background, but because of the two birds, you made a good choice.

If possible, a lower angle might have helped isolate the birds against the distant trees, and prevented the tree bases from cutting through the neck of the lower bird.

Hope to see more.

Cheers

Randy

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2011, 01:32 PM
very nice moment! exposure seems well handled, I agree with Randy's observations regarding POV and BG

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Very nice. From the images that I have seen it seems that it is nearly impossible to make these photos with either all snow or all woods BKGRs....

Can you tell us if the great photo locations in Hokaido or the snow monkey spot were impacted by the quake or the tsunami? I was wondering about the harbor where folks go by boat for the sea eagles.

And how about you??? Were you in Japan at the time?

Loong-Tat Wong
03-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi folks
Tks for your kind comments!
Arthur
I will try to find out from my Japanese friend a bit later after they get more settled. We returned home end feb. BTW it is possible to get an all white BG but will need the cranes to be at the right place while they dance. Isolation of the dancing pair is another issue.Most times there are just too many of them crowded together!

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks. I look forward to hearing more about what is going on in Japan at the various sites. Perhaps you could start a thread once you learn more. If you do, please alert me via e-mail. I am glad that you are A-OK and safe. Do you have family in Japan?