PDA

View Full Version : Don't eat this Mushroom

Grahame Hamblin
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Took your advise on board Roman and dropped red dye into Black pushed in PS a fair bit of clone work to clean up Comments welcome The base worries me any ideas.
Grahame

Anita Bower
03-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Wow! It looks like a psychedelic mushroom! Love the color and the shape. Delicate. Has a strong 3 dimensional quality.

Re. the bottom, I would crop it out completely and focus on the stem and top.

Imaginative and creative work.

Grahame Hamblin
03-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Wow! It looks like a psychedelic mushroom! Love the color and the shape. Delicate. Has a strong 3 dimensional quality.

Re. the bottom, I would crop it out completely and focus on the stem and top.

Imaginative and creative work.
Thanks Anita is this what you meant or take out even more Grahame

Steve Maxson
03-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi Grahame. Please post your shooting specs with your images - this will help us give you more informed critiques. :S3: Interesting colors that work well with the dark background. I haven't tried this myself so I can't comment on the technique. I would prefer a little more room at the bottom to show more of the base, but given what is presented, I do like Anita's suggestion. I would suggest cropping about 1/2 inch from the bottom of your OP while leaving the background unchanged. It will be interesting to hear what other folks think. :S3:

Ken Childs
03-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Hey Grahame, the red color and black BG look great together! As to the base, I don't know if that is what Anita was suggesting but I definitely prefer your repost. The base definitely looks better than in the OP, IMHO. I do wish the front edge of this 'shroom was a bit sharper....a little selective sharpening might be worth a try. :S3:

Anita Bower
03-13-2011, 01:22 PM
My apologies for not responding sooner. Here is what I had in mind.

Grahame Hamblin
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Many thanks Anita will crop some more
Grahame

Ed Cordes
03-13-2011, 08:02 PM
FWIW, I like the original crop. Colors are super.

Linda Dulak
03-14-2011, 06:49 AM
I like the crop in pane #3 which managed to take off the splash in the lower right corner which kept drawing my eye away from the top. I prefer that to Anita's repost since it keeps everything grounded and helps the viewer interpret the photo.

Nice job Grahame

Linda

Marcin Biskupek
03-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Hello

I love the original photo and crop but i would clean the BG to make it complete black. Lovely mushroom.

Norm Dulak
03-14-2011, 07:39 AM
An interesting post Grahame, although I too think it looks a bit better without the base, as Anita has shown. But Ken and Roman have put me in a "rotational" mood recently, and I couldn't resist experimenting a bit here.

I applied 15 degrees clockwise rotation and a touch of smart sharpen to make this repost. I won't claim that it is better than any of the other renditions including your op. But it is different, and something to possibly consider.

I felt I could take this liberty, because for me once the top was separated from the base, it became not a mushroom but a delicate parasol. Isn't imagination a good thing?
Anyway, thanks for sharing your image with us! :cheers:

Norm

Roman Kurywczak
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey Grahame,
You are getting some nice colors here and I like the dark on light play. In the future......you may want to try backing up a bit. I think these type of images require some base to make them work best and give them a bit more dimension......although the upper part is the nicest! You are on the right track and I will post one when I get a chance.

Grahame Hamblin
03-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Thank you all My mind is now going at supersonic speed Norm i did a reproduction and every body here loves it it just goes to show what you can do with digital and a bit of brainstorming.
Thanks all
Grahame