PDA

View Full Version : New Tripod & Head

Alfredo Fernández
03-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Last year i bought a Induro CT313 and a Cullmann magnesit 30nm.
althought they worked fine for a couple months, they are now kinda useless (ballhead stoped working and the locks in the induro arent working as they should). so i have decide to spend some money in a better tripod and head.
One of the things i dindnt like about the induro was its weiht (2.8kg) so i want a lighter version.
i was looking at this Gitzo GT0531 http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GT0531-Carbon-3-Section-Tripod/dp/B001C9IV5Y In their webpage it says it holds up to 5kg and weight less than 800g. My equipment now weights about 4kg (300mm f4, TC14eII, D300s, SB600 + Next Head). but in the website it says its designed for lens shorter than 135mm.
Should i get this tripod?

Next, the head. I was looking a Jobu Jr.3 for my lenses (300mm and future 70-200)

The day i buy a 500/600 i will buy a bigger tripod and a full gimbal.
is this set up right for me??
my main disturbance is if the tripod will hold up.

Thabks a lot,

Alfredo

Roy Churchill
03-12-2011, 04:14 AM
Last year i bought a Induro CT313 and a Cullmann magnesit 30nm.
althought they worked fine for a couple months, they are now kinda useless (ballhead stoped working and the locks in the induro arent working as they should). so i have decide to spend some money in a better tripod and head.
One of the things i dindnt like about the induro was its weiht (2.8kg) so i want a lighter version.
i was looking at this Gitzo GT0531 http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GT0531-Carbon-3-Section-Tripod/dp/B001C9IV5Y In their webpage it says it holds up to 5kg and weight less than 800g. My equipment now weights about 4kg (300mm f4, TC14eII, D300s, SB600 + Next Head). but in the website it says its designed for lens shorter than 135mm.
Should i get this tripod?

Next, the head. I was looking a Jobu Jr.3 for my lenses (300mm and future 70-200)

The day i buy a 500/600 i will buy a bigger tripod and a full gimbal.
is this set up right for me??

Thabks a lot,

Alfredo
IMO the Jobu Jr is ideal for the two lenses you have at the moment - I used one with a 400/5.6 and it was great. When I upgraded to the 300/2.8 I sold the Jr and bought a Black window HD.
Speaking as an ex Toolmaker I can say that the Jobu heads are very well made and well worth the money IMO.

Michael Weeks
03-23-2011, 05:56 AM

I'm a little late on this thread, but I did want to comment. I have a Gitzo 0531 and I would not recommend it for birding with a 300 f/4. While it will support the weight, it will not be steady enough for that lens. The legs have a lot of flex and will give you significant movement and vibration with a lens like that.

I primarily use the lens for ultra-light travel and landscape photography with a 16-85 VR lens. It's great for its intended purpose, but I think you would be frustrated with this tripod for wildlife use. I recommend a Gitzo 12XX series if you want to keep the weight down, but still have good support.

Good luck,

Mike