PDA

View Full Version : Muddy Buff

Danny J Brown
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Caught this bufflehead last weekend diving for snails and insects at the bottom of a marsh. Every time he surfaced, he was just covered with mud! His buddy was just the opposite....clean and handsome. They really look funny in the shots of them together. Thanks.

DB

Canon 1D Mark IV; Canon 500/4 L IS (Now referred to as the "old" version:e3); 1/1600; f/5.6; ISO 200; Gitzo GT3530LS w/Wimberley II all splayed over my lap in the bulrush and draped with a bit of cut-leaf camo.

Arthur Morris
03-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Quite interesting but makes me want to cry :) A nice drake of this species is high on my most wanted list. It is amazing that the mud did not wash off as the bird surfaced....

Danny J Brown
03-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Quite interesting but makes me want to cry :) A nice drake of this species is high on my most wanted list. It is amazing that the mud did not wash off as the bird surfaced....

Hey Artie,

The gumbo was gooey for sure!! That bird was a mess the entire afternoon. I'm sneaking in a shot of his handsome buddy to make you feel better. :S3:

Stu Bowie
03-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Hey Danny, good to see how nature shows off all aspects of life. Im sure after a good wash and shake, he came clean.:w3

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks Danny. Now you are really gonna make me cry. Superb.

Where?

Danny J Brown
03-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks Danny. Now you are really gonna make me cry. Superb.

Where?

Thanks Artie. I photographed the butter pat at Marais Temps Clair Conservation Area in St. Charles, Missouri.

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks Danny. I did not know that you could get close to any birds in MO....

Danny J Brown
03-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Hey Danny, good to see how nature shows off all aspects of life. Im sure after a good wash and shake, he came clean.:w3

You are right. No Dawn detergent needed here; he'll take care of himself eventually.

Enrique Patino
03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Great photos Danny. Say, what is the key to getting the water droplets to show up in the white in the second photo?

Katie Rupp
03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Danny, what a great image; I love it when you're able to catch a image with a story and this is a good one!

Randy Stout
03-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Danny:
Very funny, "pig pen" of the bufflehead world.
Nice low angle, sharp.

I have to agree with Artie, since I have never been able to get within shooting distance of buffleheads here in Michigan.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Crosswell
03-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I like the sharpness, low angle and muddy face. Great image Danny!

Danny J Brown
03-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks Danny. I did not know that you could get close to any birds in MO....

I'll take that as a compliment! As the bird galleries on my website demonstrate, the skilled hunter/photographer can get very close to birds in Missouri. I will admit that it takes a great deal of time and effort and often a camouflaged layout boat or kayak. Oh, it also helps to have an understanding spouse and no kids that need to be hauled to soccer games on weekends.:w3

Danny J Brown
03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Great photos Danny. Say, what is the key to getting the water droplets to show up in the white in the second photo?

Hi Enrique,

I have no idea! I don't even use photoshop. I just convert my RAW files in Canon DPP and make a few adjustments to brightness and contrast, if necessary. Maybe somebody else can help. Take care.

DB

Steven Kersting
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Very interesting/funny shot.
But I still prefer the clean version...

Nice work.