PDA

View Full Version : Rusty millipede (Trigoniulus corallinus)

Mark T Helm
03-11-2011, 07:51 PM
The millipede was eating sumac flowers on a particularly foggy morning in a conservation area near my home.<br>
http://www.pbase.com/mark_h/image/128994273/large.jpg<br>
Olympus E-3, sigma 150mm f:2.8 on a tripod with remote release and a linear stage.
This is a 4 shot Focus Stacked images processed in Zenere stacker.

bhavya joshi
03-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Good one Mark..
I like the Colorful Background, and look like Giant Busy Millipede In Foggy morning.. Nice shots..

Thanks For Sharing...:bg3:

Steve Maxson
03-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi Mark. Welcome to the Macro Forum! You did a nice job with your stack (something I need to learn :S3:). Good sharpness on your millipede. I like the soft, even light and the water drops on the millipede add a nice touch. There are a couple minor tweaks to the background that would make the image even stronger. The OOF bright water drops near the ULC are drawing my eye and they would be easy to clone. Also, you might consider blurring some of the mostly OOF elements in that same area of the image as they, too, are drawing my eye. :S3: Overall, this is well done. I hope to see more of your work.

Ken Childs
03-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to BPN! I'm really happy to have another macro photographer and Zerene Stacker user join out group! I just got the program myself and really haven't had the time to do much with it so maybe we can help each other out. :S3:

Steve already made some good points on how this could be improved. I like the comp as is but the millipede looks a little tight at the top so if you have more canvas, you might try adding some back there. I would hate to lose any of those red pom poms but if you don't have more canvas up top, you might want to try cropping a little from the right and the bottom.....just enough to get the bug's head closer to a rule of thirds position.

This is a very nice first post and I'm looking forward to more of what you have to offer!

Mark T Helm
03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Mark. Welcome to the Macro Forum! You did a nice job with your stack (something I need to learn :S3:). Good sharpness on your millipede. I like the soft, even light and the water drops on the millipede add a nice touch. There are a couple minor tweaks to the background that would make the image even stronger. The OOF bright water drops near the ULC are drawing my eye and they would be easy to clone. Also, you might consider blurring some of the mostly OOF elements in that same area of the image as they, too, are drawing my eye. :S3: Overall, this is well done. I hope to see more of your work.
Thanks Steve, appreciate your comments and suggestions. I look at this picture and see a focus stack I did not start far enough back in the scene, thus the out of focus elements, my objective is to have an image macro sharp front to rear just like I see it in the field. take care

Mark T Helm
03-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to BPN! I'm really happy to have another macro photographer and Zerene Stacker user join out group! I just got the program myself and really haven't had the time to do much with it so maybe we can help each other out. :S3:

Steve already made some good points on how this could be improved. I like the comp as is but the millipede looks a little tight at the top so if you have more canvas, you might try adding some back there. I would hate to lose any of those red pom poms but if you don't have more canvas up top, you might want to try cropping a little from the right and the bottom.....just enough to get the bug's head closer to a rule of thirds position.

This is a very nice first post and I'm looking forward to more of what you have to offer!

Thanks Ken, it is wonderful to find another stacker, I was beginning to think there was no one doing macro stacking on any of these sites. The norm is that when I do a posting there are lots of looks and no comments. Thanks for the comments on the cropping. Take care

(http://www.mhelm.com/Winter2011Gallery/album/)