PDA

View Full Version : Strike the Pose! GBH

Ken Roberts
03-11-2011, 12:22 AM
Ran into this guy the other morning. I like it, but feel it could be better. Suggestions? Thanks,
Ken

dankearl
03-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Nice pose, it just looks out of place. The background doesn't really suit the bird. I like the color and the softness though, the Heron itself looks nice.

Ken Roberts
03-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Agreed, the water was on the same side that I was on, but the sun was in a terrific location. I saw him passing by a local park. I was a bit disappointed with the background as well. No people or cars, but the water would have made a much nicer backdrop I think... :S3:

Arthur Morris
03-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Suggestions:

1: point your shadow at the subject unless you are working with strong back light.
2: do not photograph birds in filtered light, that is, birds that are partially lit by the sun and partially in shade.
3: watch for distracting elements in your BKGRs.

You might wish to get a copy of both ABP (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=16) and ABP II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=19) to reduce the steepness of your learning curve :).

Grace Scalzo
03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Took me a while to learn this myself, but really superb avian photographers pay as much attention to their backgrounds as their subjects. You have to really evaluate the scene and move around to where you can find a pleasing background to compliment your bird. That's why this is so hard, much has to come together at once. Study alot, look at lots of images, and you'll get there. When you post here, Ken, if you tell us what equipment you were using as well as your settings (ISO, Shutter speed, and aperture), the people who comment on your image can be of more help.

Daniel Cadieux
03-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I can see why you wanted to photograph this guy...he seems to be in pristine breeding colours and looked to have an unobstructed perch. The trick, as pointed out, would be to first align yourself with the sun directly at your back. From there, before pushing the shutter button, take a look at the BG in the viewfinder and make slight adjustments by moving a bit left, right, higher, lower to see if this puts distracting elements out of the way. Then, once all that is good, be aware of head angle (the one you posted is looking away - most often much more pleasing when at least parallel to the sensor, a degree or two our way would be even better).

Seems like lots to think of, and there are other things too, but in time it all becomes second nature. Keep at it!!:c3:

Ken Roberts
03-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Suggestions:

1: point your shadow at the subject unless you are working with strong back light.
2: do not photograph birds in filtered light, that is, birds that are partially lit by the sun and partially in shade.
3: watch for distracting elements in your BKGRs.

You might wish to get a copy of both ABP (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=16) and ABP II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=19) to reduce the steepness of your learning curve :).

Thanks Artie, This shot I couldn't point my shadow, results would have just been the back of the bird, but I see the wisdom in that advise.

I definitely want to shorten my learing curve, so I really appreciate your additional tips. I will get my copies of ABP and ABP II as well. Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken Roberts
03-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Took me a while to learn this myself, but really superb avian photographers pay as much attention to their backgrounds as their subjects. You have to really evaluate the scene and move around to where you can find a pleasing background to compliment your bird. That's why this is so hard, much has to come together at once. Study alot, look at lots of images, and you'll get there. When you post here, Ken, if you tell us what equipment you were using as well as your settings (ISO, Shutter speed, and aperture), the people who comment on your image can be of more help.

Thanks so much Grace, will do!

Ken Roberts
03-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Ran into this guy the other morning. I like it, but feel it could be better. Suggestions? Thanks,
Ken

Canon 7D; Manual mode; T.V. 1/1600, AV 6.3, ISO 400, Lens; EF-S 55-250mm IS; focal length 250mm. Focus Mode: AI Servo AF

Ken Roberts
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I can see why you wanted to photograph this guy...he seems to be in pristine breeding colours and looked to have an unobstructed perch. The trick, as pointed out, would be to first align yourself with the sun directly at your back. From there, before pushing the shutter button, take a look at the BG in the viewfinder and make slight adjustments by moving a bit left, right, higher, lower to see if this puts distracting elements out of the way. Then, once all that is good, be aware of head angle (the one you posted is looking away - most often much more pleasing when at least parallel to the sensor, a degree or two our way would be even better).

Seems like lots to think of, and there are other things too, but in time it all becomes second nature. Keep at it!!:c3:
Thanks Dan,
I appreciate the comments from everyone. They are so helpful. I've been paying more attention to BG the last couple months, because I've seen how it can really ruin an otherwise nice shot. This was the only one that I could get of this guy without people, cars or power lines or distracting builidings. From the right angle, I would have had a nice lake BG, but would have had the back of the bird... you have no idea how many bird butts I have shots of! Haha..

Your advise is good wisdom and the others as well. Thank you so much, I'll be working on it!

Ken Roberts
03-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Is there a way I can post my photos with the Exif data automatically coming in with the photo?

Thanks,
Ken

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks Artie, This shot I couldn't point my shadow, results would have just been the back of the bird, but I see the wisdom in that advise.

I definitely want to shorten my learing curve, so I really appreciate your additional tips. I will get my copies of ABP and ABP II as well. Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks,
Ken

Though not my favorites, over-the-shoulder poses (when the bird has its back to you....) can be quite nice. You need to use some extra depth of field for those.

From the angle you chose you were dead in the water before you started. The first thing I do is usually to walk right to sun angle, to the spot where my shadow points right at the bird.

Let us know what gear you were using: camera and lens.

Good plan on getting the combo (and saving ten bucks in the process)! Then be sure to study and keep posting :)

Daniel Cadieux
03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks Dan,
I appreciate the comments from everyone. They are so helpful. I've been paying more attention to BG the last couple months, because I've seen how it can really ruin an otherwise nice shot. This was the only one that I could get of this guy without people, cars or power lines or distracting builidings. From the right angle, I would have had a nice lake BG, but would have had the back of the bird... you have no idea how many bird butts I have shots of! Haha..

Your advise is good wisdom and the others as well. Thank you so much, I'll be working on it!

You're quite welcome Ken.

If the best available light angle / BG combination gives you the backside of the bird, then so be it. Tip: in that case you wait for the subject to turn its head towards parallel to the sensor plane for a great look-back pose to give you much better results than going for the front facing body with bad light angle/bad BG combo.:S3:

BTW there is no method that I know of to include the exif automatically when posting. I just write it down and manually enter it in my text.

Daniel Cadieux
03-12-2011, 12:37 PM
P.S. Looks like Artie and I were typing at the same time...sorry for the repetition!!:t3

George Cottay
03-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Unless you remove the meta data in processing it is included with the image as you post it and can be read with various free EXIF viewers. I use fxif (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/fxif/)with Firefox but others are available. This was included with your image.

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Image Date: 2011-03-02 10:32:33 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 250mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.0006 s (1/1600)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: Ken Roberts, Jr

You can preview before posting, use the EXIF viewer on your image, and copy it into the body of your post.

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 04:44 PM
The EXIF contains lots of irrelevant stuff :) Best is lens, camera, accessories, ISO, metering method, exposure compensation, shutter speed, and aperture. The one that I am most interested in that folks rarely include is EC :)