PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Eagle Sunrise, Tanzania

Roger Clark
03-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Hello,
I am slowly getting through my almost 9,000 images from my trip to Africa. The trip was timed perfectly: it rained for 2 days before we got there. We arrived in Arusha, Tanzania in pouring rain. The next morning was bright and sunny as we headed toward the Serengeti. That rain brought the great migration to the Ndutu region in a density rarely seen.

On the edge of the Serengeti, in the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA), we had the extreme luck of a male lion traveling straight at us at a brisk pace at sunrise. The lion was only a few meters from us when suddenly we noticed a tawny eagle surveying his domain with the sun rising behind him. I quickly changed from imaging the lion to the unfolding sunrise. No time to change any settings, so I was imaging the rising sun with a large aperture wide open. I managed 4 frames over a few seconds before the scene was lost when the eagle changed positions and then flew off. I also got many images of the lion, but this image of the eagle is one of my favorites from the trip.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, Canon 300 mm f/2.8 L IS lens + 1.4x TC = 420 mm at f/4, 1/6000 sec, ISO 400. Full frame image, no crop. Processed from the raw data file in CS4.

I brought my 300 f/2.8 on this trip instead of my usual 500 f/4, with the idea I could move faster and get more action. My decision was sound. I got more action, including birds in flight on this trip than my previous two combined. I will probably only bring the 300 on future trips.

Roger</pre>

Steven Kersting
03-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I rather like this image....
@300mm is it a hard crop?

Kurt Bowman
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Roger...personally I see why this is one of your favorites. I love this! The comp is top notch with the sun peaking right between the twigs and under the bird. I don't think you could have put yourself in a better position for this. Also, thanks for the info on the 300. I still have never made my way to Africa and hope to one day. This was something I always wondered about since I also own both lenses.

Harshad Barve
03-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Firs of all , Can't wait to see Lion :bg3::bg3::bg3:

Excellent image with nice position of bird and sil here , techs spot on as usual
TFS

Ken Roberts
03-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Holy Smoke! That's a fantastic image Roger. I agree with Kurt, very easy to see why this is one of your favorites! Mine too! Really nice, thats the kind of image that gives you goose bumps just getting the shot! Thanks for the lens info too. I've been trying to decide between two on a new lens purchase, the 300 MM L f/2.8 or the 70-200mm L f/2.8. I'm liking that 300!

Mark Young
03-11-2011, 04:21 AM
I love the colours in the image, and the composition of having the sun intersect the tree at the bottom of the bird.

Jay Gould
03-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Hey Mate, great image and so very glad I am reading your comments regarding the 300. I have been on the fence since I bought the new 70-200 f/2.8 and the new TCs. As you always do, you have solved a dilemma for me. Thanks,

Pieter de Waal
03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Beautiful image Roger, so evocative of Africa. Like the graded colours moving from dark to light.

Don Lacy
03-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Wonderful image Roger love the colrs and placement of the sun in the frame.

Arthur Morris
03-11-2011, 09:32 PM
There is lots that I like about this image: the head angle of the silhouetted bird, the fact that there is separation between the perch tree and the BKGR, and the trees on the horizon.

My two compositional cents would have had you pointing the lens down a bit and well to your right. This would have gotten the small in the frame subject near the urc of the vertical frame. It is simply too centered here....

Be right back....

Arthur Morris
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Fast and dirty. The compositional guidelines for small in the frame subjects in vertical format are covered in detail in ABP II. Basically, I suggest that you almost always want to get the subject into one of the corners of the frame....

Roger Clark
03-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Artie,

While I see your point,but for my tastes, you've moved the bird a little too far to the right. Also, I personally am trying to avoid adding canvas and not removing/adding anything from my images , so I would probably just crop a little off the right edge. -- I'll esperiment and repost.

In the field, I had just a few seconds to get the image. After I had gotten the initial set, I was about to change focus points and recompose with the bird to the right, but then the bird hopped to the smaller branch. I moved so the sun was directly behind the bird but the bird kept its head down, then flew off.

But I feel lucky to get the images I did, and I really like the image as shot too. Sometimes breaking the rules works. In this case, while I think it works, I would have preferred the frame to be one bird width shifted to the left (so the bird was one bird width to the right).

Thanks for commenting.

Roger

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Artie,

Also, I personally am trying to avoid adding canvas and not removing/adding anything from my images , so I would probably just crop a little off the right edge. Roger

That's why I suggested pointing the camera left and down after you focused :)

Roger Clark
03-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Here is a cropped version with the eagle at the rule of thirds point.

Roger

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 10:21 AM
The repost is much better for me than the centered original.

Roger Clark
03-12-2011, 11:29 AM
The repost is much better for me than the centered original.

But now the sun is closer to center. In my opinion, all 3 versions have pluses and minuses.

:w3

Roger

Arthur Morris
03-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Sorry bro. For me the COMP of the image in Pane 1 has no plusses :)

Ron Caswell
03-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Great shot, I think the re post you have made is better to the eye.

Jay Gould
03-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Definitely go with the RP!!

Kirk Adams
03-13-2011, 10:55 PM
I agree with Mr Art, the comp he has given to the image sticks to the rule of thirds and makes the image very interesting..............Thank God, for Art Morris !:S3:

Steven Kersting
03-13-2011, 11:11 PM
But now the sun is closer to center. In my opinion, all 3 versions have pluses and minuses.

:w3

Roger

I have to agree, and disagree...it depends upon *what* the subject is.
IMO the "strongest" is your last version, but it's because I want the bird to be dominant. If you want *equal balance* between the sun/sunset/bird then the first is probably the best (but not my preference)....generally "equal balance" means a pic with less impact overall...a defined focus is essential IMO.

Jay Gould
03-14-2011, 01:20 AM
For me, Roger's cropped RP is the best of the three.

I am pleased to see the dark foreground significantly minimized as I do not think it adds to the story.

I like the eagle in the 1/3 power position rather than off to the right in Artie's "fast and dirty" rendition.

I like that Artie has distinguished between the COMP which he didn't like and explained why, and the aspects of the OP that he did like. I would like more persons commenting to take the time that Arties takes to comment and teach. Having said that, I don't think that even Artie agrees with the statement "Thank God, for Art Morris !"

I don't think Artie has ever said you must 100% stick to the rule of thirds; just most of the time.

Roger, you have given us a lovely image for an interesting COMP discussion.

I would certainly hang your cropped RP on my tiny caravan walls.

Arthur Morris
03-14-2011, 06:42 AM
You are right Jay that I would never want anyone to abide by the rules of composition 100% of the time. I just ask that folks have a reason for breaking the rules. But I do agree with 100% with Kirk's statement. Why would I not appreciate someone's enthusiastic support and appreciation?

Jay Gould
03-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Artie, when it comes to you as a teacher, Kirk and I are 100% in agreement. However, "thanking God" - I thought a bit over the top. I attributed a tiny bit of humility to The Master. :w3

Arthur Morris
03-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Big mistake Jay :) Do not confuse me with John Shaw and the like. Actually, I don't think it was that big of a deal, just a nice guy saying something nice.

Jay Gould
03-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Ok, tough guy! You have earned the hard way all the respect you get; and, it is well deserved.