Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
.3"
F32
ISO 200
Exposure comp + 4/3
Tripod
LR & CS3

BG is white foam core. Shot indoors with east facing window light.
Rotated, cropped, curves, a little cleanup on the flower.

I'm sure this won't appeal to everyone but I like it. :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey Ken,
I like high key......but you are correct that it wont appeal to everyone. For me.....I feel the petals feel a bit flat.....not soft pastel like but lacking a bit of something. Center part is super......can't quite figure out what it needs......let's see if someone beats me to it! Comp is very effective yet again!

bhavya joshi
03-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Hey.. Ken,
Can you explain me How I add Pure white background to any Image.. Like your..
It's worked in camera?? or Light effect or others??..but not by editing OK..

Thank you..:w3

Ken Childs
03-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Hey.. Ken,

Hi Joshi,

Here is a photo of my setup. It is just a few pieces of what is known as foam core board.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/IMG_3606.jpg

Here is a video interview of Anita Bower and starting at about 1:15, you can see her setup her "studio" which is basically the same as mine.
http://vimeo.com/10885785

Steve Maxson
03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Ken. I like it as a change of pace. The image looks like it was taken through a lightly fogged lens (like a few I took in Belize when my lens fogged over in the early morning humidity :t3). It makes for an interesting effect. Again, a nice simple comp and the white background works well. I agree with Roman about the center - it really draws your eye. There are a few small dust spots on the background that could easily be cleaned up. :S3:

Anita Bower
03-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Ken: You know I love high key, but here the flower looks a bit washed out. I tried doing a curves adjustment to add some intensity to the yellow, and I liked it better, but it isn't as high-key as you probably want. Nice composition. Wonderful to see a Daffodil!!!! Not even in bud up this way, but leaves poking up.

Norm Dulak
03-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Hey.. Ken,

Congratulations Ken, for another interesting and well positioned image. But I also think that the yellow color should be enhanced a bit. Thanks Anita, for showing this possibility.

As for adding a pure white background to any image, Ken's method may be the way to go if you set things up before the photograph is taken. But if you already have an image captured with a different background in which you want to substitute a pure white background, you of course must do it post-processing.

What I do is to use the extraction filter in PS CS3, which removes the desired subject and places it on a transparent layer. That layer can then be replaced by white, or any other color you may wish. PS CS5 has eliminated the extraction filter, so I'm glad I kept PS CS3 also!
I understand that Photoshop Elements has a Magic Extractor that can do the same thing, so that is another possibility. :cheers:

Ken Childs
03-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks all for your comments!

Since the "high key" label is often used when an image isn't truly high key, I was trying hard to make this a true high key image....maybe I was trying too hard. :bg3: