PDA

View Full Version : Morro Bay sunset

Kerry Perkins
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Spent the weekend in Morro Bay last weekend as a little getaway before returning to work after two months of recuperation from surgery. Took this from my motel room balcony.

I'm just learning landscape techniques, so I'll call this more of a travel pic... :c3:

Kerry Perkins
03-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Sorry, forgot the tech info:

7D, 28-135mm @ 28mm
f/16@1/30 sec ISO 200 WB 5100K

Indranil Sircar
03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I was wondering when you will post landscapes from Morro Bay! Beautiful sunset. Love the colors. I just wished that single mast remained below the horizon line.

Dave Mills
03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Hi Kerry, nice to see you visiting over here. Nice sunset placed well within the image.I like the fact I can see some detail on the large rock and distant shore. I might crop off about half the blue area of the sky. The silhouetted houses are having a tendancy to block up the bottom of the image and become very busy. I realise you were on your balcony so there wasn't much maneuver room to get a different angle..

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Hey Kerry,
Still on my tour in Florida.....so a bit late in responding......when you compose these scenes.....always ask yourself does it help or hurt......looks like you were in between on the comp of including the boats or excluding them.....believe it or not, I think pointing the camera down a bit more.....to add more of a base......may have helped as right now it feels clipped. Balcony prevented repositioning....so as presented.....I would probably go with Dave's crop suggestion.....but first I would crop the bottom.....to the far shore where the mast goes above the horizon......darken the entire area to a silhouette......eliminate that mast......then explore the pano crop off top Dave suggested. This may make a very interesting one given those tweaks. I will ask......did you have another mound or something on the RH side that you didn't want to include? Just asking as it may have been a bit stronger including the entire mound......not at the expense of introducing other unwanted elements though.
Great news on the recovery and keep at the landscapes!......you have some beutiful ones out there so you should find and scout your favorite spots for future attempts!

Kerry Perkins
03-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I'm looking forward to becoming a (much) better landscape photographer!

I really pondered the crop here, as there didn't seem to be a good one. The lower part of the image is Embarcadero Street, the main shopping area of Morro Bay, so that wouldn't have looked good. I looked all over for a better place to capture the scene but I guess I'll have to go back there and talk to locals! :w3 Roman, I like your idea of combining Dave's crop and a crop from the bottom.

I do have some that I shot from down on the dock, so I'll post a couple and see what you think. It is unfortunate that there is a sand spit right there too, but next time I'll go to the north side of the rock and see what I can see there.

Andrew McLachlan
03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Kerry, beautiful colors in the sky. Dave and Roman make some good suggestions on cropping. I might clone out the birds above the mound if it were mine. Glad to hear you are out and about and heading back to work soon.

Robert Amoruso
03-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Kerry,

I agree with the assessments above except the crop from the top. I like the larger view of the sky.

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2011, 02:48 PM
fully agree with Roman on this one Kerry - it either needed more below or nothing at all which doesn't seem like it was possible from your vantage point

that rocky butte there looks like a great subject if you could have gotten onto the beach! did you?

Ed Cordes
03-13-2011, 05:42 PM
I agree that a pano crop with more of the top would be great. I also wondered why the "mound" was clipped on the right? Colors are super.