PDA

View Full Version : Flash For BIF?

Steven Kersting
03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I've been considering getting a beamer to use my SB800 for BIF shots....But I'm questioning the validity.

Do you use flash for BIF and if so what settings do you use?

Thanks!

Mark Theriot
03-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm just getting started with this - try the link below.

Mark

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/03/02/better-beamer-basics/

Doug Brown
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I won't say I never use a flash for BIF, but for the type of BIF I do it's less than 1% of the time.

Dan Brown
03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I use flash for BIF once in a while. Lots of drawbacks - the bird needs to be fairly close, the flash effects only the first and maybe the second shot (when using as a fill) in a burst and the flash significantly slows down your frame rate. So, if you time your shot and don't expect flash effect for a whole series, it works. You absolutely have to set up for high speed sync, which is a camera setting with at least the D200 and D300 in conjunction with the SB800. This allows for the high SS's that you need for BIF. That said, it has been a useful tool. My 2 cents.:S3:

Randy Stout
03-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Steven:

If you have a situation where the birds fly predictable paths, say to and from a feeder, or to a particular roosting area, and you can get in close enough that the flash will reach, I absolutely use it to help brighten the colors, even out harsh light, etc. Dans points are valid about losing power after a few shots, but often it will make a sig. difference in several of the shots.

It also depends on whether you shoot off a tripod or hand held. Easy to do on tripod, not practical for most folks handheld.

Is it the first thing I would buy? No, but there are so many other times that you will use it, that having it available for BIF only make sense.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
03-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I've been considering getting a beamer to use my SB800 for BIF shots....But I'm questioning the validity.

Do you use flash for BIF and if so what settings do you use?

Thanks!

Confused: are you questioning the validity of using flash for BIF or of using a BB when you are using flash???

Steven Kersting
03-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Confused: are you questioning the validity of using flash for BIF or of using a BB when you are using flash???

Flash for BIF overall.

Steven Kersting
03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks all. Basically what I'm getting is "it's worth a shot"...

I've been struggling with Flight shots of Harriers and Short Eared owls recently (Finally found some!) and I'm hoping for something to help me out of the ISO 6400 hole I have to dig at dusk.

Arthur Morris
03-10-2011, 05:14 AM
Flash for BIF overall.

The image was created in fairly bright sun. I would argue that the use of flash for BIF can be quite valid in a variety of circumstances.... It helps if folks know what they are doing and using the Beamer when you are using flash with a telephoto lens is valid except when working at point blank range....