PDA

View Full Version : Granary Wharf

Tim Munsey
03-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Hi,
On a calm day took my camera down to the local canal, a good spot for reflections.

Tim
Nikon D3, 14-24mm, F/8 on a tripod, aperture priority, ISO 200

Ron Bernstein
03-08-2011, 07:18 AM
I think this is quite lovely, Tim. I like the comp and crop very much, and the soft light and early morning or late afternoon colors are terrific. The light in a few windows is a nice touch, and punches up the reflection. I suppose some will quarrel with the weed in the lower left, but I find it to be a nice balancing element for that corner. Great job!

Robert Amoruso
03-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Tim,

Interesting juxtaposition of old and new buildings. I like that you did not get any noticable distoration (converging verticals) and the strong diagonal along the left side of the frame.

I also like that detail was held in the light windows of the closest building. A few things I would suggest.

When making this image, I feel it would have been best to have used a smaller aperture. The near FG is OOF and I feel having your maximum DOF here would have strengthened the image.

In post-processing, I would desaturate this some. Artifacting in the sky can be due to over-processing (curves, saturation, banding/posterization). Subtle changes in tone in the sky is a posterization problem many times. I would also try increasing the luminace (brightness) in the lower right. Not a lot - enough to reveal some detail so the viewer's eye does not become trapped there trying to figuring things out.

All in all well done. Thanks for posting.

Dave Mills
03-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Hi Tim, good suggestions above. What I'm most impressed with is how you created an artistic expression out of a scene most photographers would pass up. Beautiful light which gives the image it's strong impact along with a well balanced comp. Agree on using a smaller aperture which this image calls for. Overall well done!!

Andrew McLachlan
03-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Hi Tim a beautiful scene with lovely colours in the sky. Agree with Robert on the DOF and with Dave that you made a lovely image out of what most would ignore. Nice work!

Patrick Sparkman
03-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Lovely image. I like the colors, reflection, diagonal line, and the best is the juxtaposition of the old building and the modern ones.

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey Tim,
Still in Florida on my tour so a bit late in replying.....great suggestions above and I agreed with them.....so I thought.....what about croppping to just above the weed using the RH frame, roof edge reflection of the old building (where it meets the sky) as a guide???.....this eliminates any issues I had with the image and for me even strengthens the overall comp. If you prefer to keep it......I'd go with Robert's suggestions and lose the weed! Overall......minor tweaks to a very nicely executed and composed scene!

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
lovely scene here Tim

I agree with Robert regarding DOF and desaturating the sky some...love the colours here

Art Kornienko
03-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Love the colours and the perspective, the weed in LLC does stand out a bit, is there anything in the sky? (see a strange effect on my monitor)